|07| School

Once again, I was back in my new bed. My eyelids creeped open, expecting brightness but being met with darkness. My head felt like a hammer was beating against it and I grimaced, snuggling deeper into my covers.

Turning on my side, the glowing numbers of a clock stood out to me. My eyes didn't widen at the bold number nine staring me in the face. It was still early, but shouldn't there have been light already?

Then, my sluggish brain realized someone had closed my blinds. I also realized it was Monday, and I was incredibly late for my first day of school in this new town.

As if someone else's thoughts were in tune with my own, a fist began to beat against my door.

"Ada! Ada, wake up! Mom's going to freaking kill me!"

Groaning, I pulled the covers up to my chin. "I'm up, Vienna! Do we have to go to school today?"

At this, my door was shoved open. Light from the hallway streamed into my nearly pitch black room. I nearly screamed from the pain in my head, closing my eyes and shielding them with the blankets. Hang overs were not my friend. They didn't use to be this bad, but the lack of alcohol since I was caught really affected the intensity.

"Of course! Are you dumb? This is your first day! Plus, my parents told me to make sure you got to school okay!"

"Did Carson leave us?" I questioned. Surely, we didn't all sleep in.

"Of course he did. Believe it or not, the nerd has perfect attendance. Now, up!"

I couldn't believe someone could be so selfish.

"Lydia too?"

"The baby isn't going. Up!"

"I have a hangover. Just tell your parents I'm not feeling well."

Suddenly, I felt her grab my arm and, thanks to tugging and gravity, I tumbled to the ground. I let out a little shriek, the covers tangling around my limbs.

"Ada!"

"Why does Lydia get to stay home and I don't?"

"Adalaide !"

"Okay, okay! Give me thirty!"

"Thirty?"

"Thirty or I'm not going and you can face the wrath of your parents!"

With a groan, I watched her feet become farther and farther away from me.  Then, after a fierce internal battle, I hauled myself off the ground and trudged towards the bathroom.

This was my first day, so I had to make a good first impression. I made sure my winged liner was fierce and my face looked flawless. Not a hair could be out a place, nor could my outfit be anything but perfectly coordinated.

Thirty minutes came and went. It was at forty did I finally exit my room. Once I made it down the stairs, my head was still throbbing and the bright sunlight streaming through the windows did little to help.

An apple was thrown in my direction and I barely caught it before it hit me square in the nose.

"What the heck?"

Vienna sighed, her bag slung over her shoulder as she headed towards the door. "I hope you like apples because we don't have time to sit down and eat. Now move it!"

I rolled my eyes. "Can I at least have some-"

As if she yet again read my mind, two pills were thrust my way.

"Thanks!" I smiled, throwing the Tylenol down my throats and following Vienna out the door. The sunlight was more intense now and I had to keep my gaze focused on my feet.