|24| Fake

We arrived just in time for my first period: American history 2.  By the time we ate and changed from swimming, it was nearing the start of school. Carl and Shell wished us farewell as they headed home for homeschooling and Carson drove Vienna and I to school. That led me to where I was, sitting beside a chattering Tala and a heartbroken Asher.

Cara was chatting with Tala, trying to steal her attention every moment she could. I guess she wanted Tala all for herself, to be her best friend. In all honesty, Cara was nothing but one of those mean popular girls you read about in books. She was the opposite of Tala, who was a people's person and as sweet and candy. Cara was petty, manipulative, and didn't wave to everyone in the halls like Tala, but rather made fun of them.

J sat in front of me and he turned to talk with Asher and I. He had asked how I was, and had noticed a change in his friend Asher. His girlfriend sat beside him shooting glares at me. I learned her name was Lexus. Lexus had long, wavy blonde hair, freckles dotting her face, and deep blue eyes. She was striking, but she was the definition of a stereotypical catty brat in a way. Except, gasp, she was actually smart. The 'popular group' was made of J, Tala, Asher, Cara, Lexus, me now, and whichever of Lexus' friends that decided to join us. She was someone I had difficulty figuring out, and was the only person of the main group left disliking me.

She had an orange-haired girl to her right and a raven-haired one in front of her. They were her friends, and that's all I knew about them. I didn't know why Lexus had such a problem with me, or why I couldn't be friends with her boyfriend. She was annoying, and it was very difficult to keep my mouth shut as she directed her boyfriend's attention back to her.

Finally, I turned my own attention to my friend. I could see in his eyes how broken he was, and that sadness rubbed off on me. A few minutes prior, I had been filled with joy thanks to the midnight swim. A bit tired, sure, but happy nonetheless. Now, the sadness in his eyes brought back memories of the day prior, of the way Amara broke his heart.

I didn't have the audacity to ask if he was okay when he obviously wasn't. Instead, I whispered, "For what it's worth, a lot of people have bad relationships. It's supposed to strengthen you along the road to finding the perfect someone, and along the road of maturing and become who you're supposed to be."

He raised an eyebrow. "That's very wise, Lemonaide."

I smacked his arm, and his lip tilted upwards ever so slightly. I sighed. "Fine, call me that if it makes you happier. A grumpy Asher sucks. I remember the first day I met you."

He grimaced slightly. "I guess I'm kinda guarded. She earned my trust. Finally. I thought she was different."

"Does she go to this school?" If she did, God would need to help her.

He shook his head. "She's homeschooled."

"You've been hurt before." It was a statement, not a question. He nodded, affirming what I already figured. Why else would someone be as guarded as he was when I first met him? He liked his group the way it was because he was familiar with it, knew that these people wouldn't hurt him. I was yet another threat. Well, until he trusted me. "Why did you trust me enough to help you with Amara?"

"Because you proved yourself a good person. Tala, even if we're not as close anymore, is someone I grew up with, someone I trust. And, you saved her from herself. You saved her from Drew that night. You saved your sister from Drew another night. Tala made us respect you because she did. Because you helped her respect herself. If all that doesn't scream 'good person', I'm not sure what does."

My head spun, and as much as I wanted to scream back all the bad about me, I felt honored; honored that I helped people and was seen in a positive light because of it. But I didn't do it because of that; I did it because I wanted to help people, even when I was falling apart myself. But, maybe I helped save myself in the process.