Chapter 18

White. And sea of white filled his coronation. Everyone dressed in a milky color, when I asked Queen Una smiled, explaining merely saying it was a tradition for their Prism Fete, a fete is something of a festival. Will held my hand in the stands innocently and I felt guilt in the pit of my stomach. Had I made my choice? I did. I knew that. He deserves at least that. Illiad and Una smiled at everyone gathering in the pillars of their large common hall. Thomas sat nervously in the front of us, centered between his parents. His eyes were locked on Wills hand around mine. My knee jerk reaction was to pull away but that would cause more damage in the moment so when he met my eyes I smiled and shook my head slightly. As if to say 'its okay.' I did seem to calm his nerves but then Juliana walks right up to his throne and says something that lights up his whole face in a warm smile. I find sudden interest in the King and Queen, waiting patiently for Juliana to take her seat. Una locks eyes with me, an unreadable expression crosses her soft features. Without looking away from me, she leans toward Thomas, whispering to him. His eyes flash toward me and he withdraws away from Juliana, maybe dismissing her because after the visible change she promptly finds a seat in the front row. King Illiad clears his throat.
"Friends." He starts, smiling at us with so much warmth I believe that even though he met me yesterday that he really believes me a friend. "Blessings of roses."
Will leans into my ear. "I believe it's a greeting or farewell of theirs, close to I hope you are well."
The room answers back as Thomas did last night. "Presents of Daisies!"
Illiad smiles wider, continuing. " It warms my heart to know so many people are here to celebrate in our joy and watch our son, the one we lost so many years ago, become a crown prince of Ostevell." This earned quite a lot of people, lifting their arms as if they were holding a glass of wine in it.
"Before the crowning we would hope you will allow our ward, Juliana to speak, she has a special request of the prince."
Will leaning in, breath hot against my chilled neck. "I wonder if she's asking for his hand."
Juliana stood, face regal and friendly and turned to us all. "As red as a rose, and green as the wood. It will show itself in magnificent ways, as it should. As I hope I am enough. This is love." She starts, voice strong.
"For those in the audience who don't know. It is tradition for someone to propose with a poem or monologue from the heart. I stand before you now, people and guest of Ostevell, and for Thomas' hand and heart." She looks back at him, and I too stare at him, unable to keep the horrified expression off my face. His face is closed off and almost sad. "I ask for you." She ends, placing her hand on his.
He stands, turning to the audience. "It is now tradition to explain why or why not I agree, and ask for objections." He says, avoiding my eyes.
"I have not known you long, Juliana, which worries me deeply. But you are beautiful, sweet, funny and the first person here I really felt myself around. I could see myself with you." He says, smiling wistfully. This hurts. "But, I have a hope that I will be with someone else." He finishes. Wills hand tightens around mine, he turns to me, white faced. "Mia. No." He growls.
Una stands, smiling. "Now, my loves. Does Anyone reject this proposal?"
Before I knew what I was doing, I was standing. Will held a death drip on my hand, trying to tug me back down.
Una smiled kindly at me, and everyone turned to stare. Juliana looked the most confused.
"I'm terribly sorry." I begin, low. I clear my throat now, breathing in. "Juliana, I don't know you. And you seem like such a sweet girl. But I object." I say simply, staring at Thomas.  I turn to Will who looks sick and has let go of my hand.
"Why?" He asks loudly, face red.
"I wish I had an easy answer." I tell him, breathing in.
He shakes his head stubbornly. "Well I object." He says, swallowing. "I object to you objecting."
Una and Illiad exchange looks.
"We will resolve this after the Prism Fête." King Illiad says in a nervous voice.
I'm the first to duck out.
The room is a crystalline dream, refracting rainbows and everyone is dressed in assorted colors. My dress is a milky white, reflect like the room. Thomas stands near Will, they are talking at each other heatedly, but Thomas' eye catches on me and Will turns too. Will smiles and walks toward me.
Thomas hangs back but I feel his brown eyes on my skin and it's hard for me to concentrate on Will's words.
"After tonight we're leaving."
My heart drops, and I choke on my spit.
"What? Why?" I ask, alarmed.
He doesn't answer, just grabs my hand and leads me to the floor. The music is solely strings and I don't understand the language the singer is performing in.
Will, swishes me past the band and leans into my ear.
"She's singing in the original tongue of Ostevell." He says, his eyes always crinkle slightly when he is interested in something.
"Before Ostevell and Idruthen formed an alliance with each other and the surrounding kingdoms, we all spoke different languages." Another turn we pass Papa Will, who's blue eyes watch us intently.
"Ostaven and Idruth were not similar at all, in fact Ostaven is very difficult to learn. I took it as a child." He tells me and slows us down in front of the singer.
Her voice is powerful and haunting.
"Rtill Ulli er frewiak lik perah"
Will leans in to translate. "Strange love of my true heart."
"Sen lowv ger shi nigh"
"We'll die in knowing vain."
"Tello Ulli, al yukah se"
"Beautiful love, I love you"
"Rin sier tulli quiklo eri sa"
"Say you'll run away with me."
His arms are warm around me but his words bring a different pair of eyes to my mind and Will watches my expression change.
"I know you love him." He says softly. "But I know you can love me, Mia."
His voice is pained.
"Stay with me."
He asks.
"I-I don't think I can." My voice falters
Will stops dancing and pulls me closer to him.
"He asked me to duel him for your hand, do you want me to do that?" He asks, more angry now.
I try to pull back from him, my heart pounding. Not Thomas. He wouldn't stoop there.
When I don't respond right away Will pushes me away from him and climbs on stage. Everyone turns as the orchestra fizzles and he grabs the mic from the singers hand.
"Prince Thomas, I accept your challenge, and I will win Demia's hand."