Chapter 4

Jay and I stand at the door, the Princes' ball is over and we're just being a block in the road for the others but I feel like I'm losing something I didn't even know I was missing. His hands are in his pockets and he's frame is relaxed, mask still present even though most everyone else took them off today. His liquid chocolate eyes study me as much as I do him. My hand slowly goes up and I'm removing my mask, his smile is present once more and his head tilts to the side.
"You're beautiful." He's says, as if he's commenting about the weather, his arms wrap around me.
"Well I guess we all go back to our lives now. Is your stepmother waiting for you in that hoard?" He's nodding at the crowd of parents and honking carriages outside. I shake my head, anxiety washing over me.
"What?" He asks, Jay steps back to really look at me again.
I find it hard to articulate my current situation so instead I just gesture and make strangled sounds for a hot minute. He quirks his eyebrow at me, waiting for me to form the words he laughs, pressing his lips into a line.
With a sigh I cover my face.
"My sister and I might've done something that made the Prince sort of decide that he was going to marry one of us so we're staying here until a real engagement is placed." When I uncover my eyes Jay's mouth is horrifically open.
"Oh no." He whispers and then without another word he's leaving.
I grab his arm frantically as people surge around us.
"Will I ever see you again?" I ask, because he's the best person I've met here.
"Sooner than you'll believe." His voice for once doesn't sound confident or playful.
With that he's gone.
I immediately realize getting back into the castle is going to be like swimming upstream so with a heave I head back into the chaos.
Now that everyone is gone, the castle feels so alone. Lucy and I wait in the ballroom for Prince William or someone to come looking for us and almost on cue with my thoughts the door opens to reveal- Mystery boy? He walks to us, smile on his face and I'm glad I took off my mask because it is then I realize he can only be one person.
He stops in front of us and removes the mask.
Prince William was flirting with me even before the almost engagement. Wonderful. Way to throw a wrench into everything fate, how about another twist while we're at it? Like why not make Jay actually a prince too? Actually don't. I might not make it through that.
The Prince snaps his fingers in front of me to get my attention.
"I'm sorry, what?" I apologize, focusing back into reality.
"You look like you need a nap." He says, breaking out in a smile.
"Can I take one of those?" I ask, I didn't realize it but yes I am pretty exhausted.
He's shaking his head. "I'm sorry but no. Up side there'll be coffee- or tea if you prefer."
"Where are we going?" Lucy asks, her smile is wide and she's in full flirt mode.
"To meet my parents." His face looks terrified.
"What do they breathe fire?" I ask jokingly.
He thinks it over. "Not that I know of. I wish. That would be pretty badass, actually." He heads down the length of the ballroom, pausing to motion us to follow.
His parents wait for us in a more intimate banquet hall, his father is the man who announced the initial instructions the first day for the ball which makes the wheels turn in my head.
He has kind eyes, and actually they're the exact shade of Caribbean blue as Will.
His wife is looking forward when we come in, looking very displeased.
"Where's Clare?" I ask, looking around for a familiar face.
Its King William who answers.
"Ah well, Clare unfortunately isn't feeling well tonight so you're stuck with us I'm afraid." His smile is open and caring.
""Besides, we're here to learn about you. Not our daughter." Queen Ilyssa adds and she looks uncomfortably at me.
Lucy and I sit across from them and Prince Will sits to my right.
King William looks at me for a long time before saying anything else.
"Your father, was Grigori Johnson, right?" I nod, the mention of his name starts the burn in my throat.
"He used to set up a shop in our square a couple days every month or so. He was a good man." He smiles, his eyes are glazed over with the memory. "He even brought you along sometimes, you and Will would play in our garden as us father's worked." He leans back, relaxed and smiling as if he didn't just mention casually that I apparently played with Prince William as a child, I make a choking noise.
"Hold on a minute. We were what like four, younger? Because I don't remember playing hide and seek with royalty. How did you even recognize me?" I demand, politeness be damned.
"You are the spitting image of him." He states simply. Queen Ilyssa doesn't speak for most of the dinner and after my outburst I stay pretty subdued too, listening to Will and Lucy talk about riding horses and such.
"King William?" I pipe up finally.
He chews slowly.
"Papa Will." He answers, wiping his mouth. "Yes, dear?"
"Did you-" the tightness in my throat increases but I need to ask.
"Did you see him before he- before he got sick?"
"He came a few days before to sell some things and he visited my jeweler on my recommendation. He was telling me about his new wife when news of the influenza was brought to me. I told him it would be best if he stayed with us for a few days more. But he was insistent on leaving on time." His eyes are sad and he folds his hands together. "I'm so sorry for your loss. It doesn't get easier with time, sadly so."
Prince Will's hand finds my own when I finally realize I'm crying.
"Thank you for dinner." I say in a hushed voice. "May I please be excused?" He nods and when I am no longer under his gaze, I let it out.
I'm eighteen years old, ten years without him and I can no longer remember his voice. I think of him so much that I'm not sure I remember him correctly anymore. Someone is following me I can feel it, but I don't turn, instead I head to the garden.
The cool air feels like a fresh breath, purifying my lungs. Footsteps crunch behind me as I curl up under a large willow tree.
"Hey, miss?"
I look up to see a teen in servants attire staring at me with concern.
"I'm sorry, are you supposed to be mowing or something?" I ask, wiping my face.
He shakes his head, rubbing the back of his neck.
"No. I actually saw you in the hallway- crying- and I followed you." He fists his hands, covering his face. "I sound so creepy." He whines.
"No, creepy is reserved for people who don't tell me their name." I say, sniffling.
He laughs a little too hard at my attempt of joking.
"I know what your thinking. What's a comedian like me doing under a willow tree but-" I start, but he interrupts me, sitting next to me.
"Sorry I didn't mean to laugh that hard. My name is Thomas." He says, he brings his knees up, resting his arms and head on them.
"This is the part where you introduce yourself." He says, smiling and rolling his head to look at me.
"Mia." I offer.
He bites his lip, his face is very handsome, high cheek bones and dark eyes.
"It's a pleasure to meet you, Mia."
Really looking at him, theres something familiar in his smile.
"Likewise, Thomas."
And without another word we just sit there, in comfortable silence as the hurt in my chest fades to a manageable sting.
"Don't you want to know why I'm crying?" I ask him after a long while.
He shakes his head me, tongue between his teeth.
"You're not crying." Thomas replies, laying down in the grass beside me. "And why would you be when the stars came out just to see you."
I look up at the sky to see the most stars I've ever seen and I realize Thomas is right. I'm not crying anymore.