Chapter Twelve

Claire’s pov

                I silently walked home. Caleb wanted to walk me at least until the end of the street, but I told him that I wanted to keep him as far away from my family as possible. That was partly true. I really just wanted to be alone until I have to face my parents, or more likely my mother.

                I stopped outside, staring as the porch lights light up the walls of my house. I hung my head from my shoulders, deep in thought, or rather deep in conversation. Not with Caleb again, but with myself. I like to think that I’m really talking to my animal, not myself.

                ‘What am I going to do?’ I thought.

                ‘What do you want to do?’ My animal whispered to me.

                ‘I want to tell someone, like maybe Lucy or even dad. But what would they think?’

                ‘Lucy wanted to help you be with Caleb, she won’t hate you for mating with him. Dad is very understanding, he will be mad, but he will listen to reason.’

                ‘But what about mother?’ She is the one person I don’t want to find out about this.

                ‘Speak of the devil and she will appear.’ I lifted my head in confusion, not understanding and I froze. My mother was standing two metres from me. I didn’t even hear her coming.

                “Claire,” she said simply. The way she said my name, anyone could tell it was filled with venom. “Where have you been? Do you know what the time is?”

                “What do you care?” I snapped at her. As soon as I said it, I regrated it.

                “How dare you speak back to me?” She slapped my so hard, I fell to the ground. I groaned at the pain. She has never hit me that hard, I thought. She knows, that’s why.

                “Why must you hurt me so much?” I managed to gasp out.

                “My ancestors have told me that you will bring shame to this family. Witches may hate vampires, but since I’ve been forced to be one, they have helped me and still give me visions and powers. They were right about you.” She crotched down beside me and pulled my shirt down, reviling Caleb’s mark on my neck. “You shamed this family and my ancestors!”

                “I’m sorry mother, but he is my mate,” I begged her to understand.

                “What is going on out here?” My mother jumped up at the sound of my father’s voice. “Bianca? What are you doing to Claire now?”

                “She has shamed this family and this time I have proof!” the shocked look of my father was enough to bring tears to my eyes. “Look at her neck.”

                “Claire?” My father walked over to me.

                “I’m so sorry dad, but he’s my mate.” I pulled my shirt back down to show him the mark. I will never forget the facial expression he gave me that night. It was filled with pain, shock, hatred and shame.

                “How could you do this to your fellow vampires? You know werewolves are a vampire’s greatest enemy.” He was trying to reason with me, but it was too late for that.

                “Maybe it’s time for a change. Why can’t we live in peace with them?” I pushed myself up off the ground and stood in front of my parents.