Chapter 2: Interview

picture of edward^^^^

CHAPTER 2

Professional. My dress, a plain, black number, is professional. My hair, pulled back in a tight bun, is professional. My favorite black heels adorn my feet, cute and classy, yet professional. I had mastered the art of dressing like a confident, professional businesswoman years ago.

I remember my favorite professor back in college telling me once, “If you look professional and confident, you will feel professional and confident. I don’t care what everyone else says; looks are everything.”

That is why, when I hear “Leah Evans!” called from the office, no nervous butterflies erupt in my stomach. My palms aren’t sweating, and I’m not nervously fiddling with the bracelet I’m wearing on my right wrist. I am cool, calm, collected as I follow the secretary into Mr. Bennett’s office for my first job interview since I graduated.

Mr. Bennett is a weasly man of around 50, and when he shakes my hand his palm is warm, sweaty, and suffocating. I smile slightly at him before seating myself in the chair across from his. He leans across his desk and gives me a grin, revealing a set of horribly rotten teeth. It’s all I can do not to gag.

“Miss Evans,” he begins, “Your resume is quite impressive.”

“Thank you, sir,” I say.

I notice that his small, watery eyes are focused not on my face but just a bit lower. I cross my arms over my breasts and clear my throat quietly. His eyes snap up, but they hold not one ounce of shame. In fact, he even grins again.

What a pig.

“So it says here that you worked three years for Miller, Inc….and during this time you received five promotions and employee of the month? Twice?”

“That is correct,” I confirm.

“Well, it seems like you were an excellent employee…why aren’t you working there anymore?” he asks.

I stiffen. “Things…did not work out.”

Mr. Bennett eyes me up and down. “Why not?”

“Look, Mr. Bennett,” I laugh lightly. “As you can see, I have many redeeming qualities that would make me a prime selection-“

“Miss Evans,” he interrupts. “I asked why you left Miller, Inc.”

“Does it really matter?” I counter. “All my qualifications are laying right there in front of you, and I assure you, sir, that I am more than qualified. It doesn’t matter what happened or why I left Miller! All that you need to know is whether or not I can perform this position to your expectations!”

My voice has slowly risen in volume during my little speech so I let out a breath and attempt to calm myself.

Mr. Bennett is no longer smiling. “Miss Evans, I was all ready to hire you, but only if you owned up to your little act back at Miller. I received a call today before your interview that you might react like this.”