Chapter 10: Saved

Ethan was stable and he was able to leave the ICU. He was still in the hospital and Abby still stayed with him wherever he went but he was good and alive. He felt okay. He ribs were a little sore from all the impact that the bullet made, but aside from that everything was great. It was one morning and he had been feeling a lot better. He was washing his hands and Abby was on her phone outside the bathroom when a swarm of doctors, nurses and paramedics came running down the hallway with a person on a stretcher. Abby didn't think much of it because it was just another emergency surgery or something like that. She felt bad and she felt like she needed to tell E about it so she did. They slowly walked back to the room with beds lined along both sides. 6 beds on two walls. It smelt like sanitization wipes and soap but Abby and Ethan had gotten used to it by now. Ethan laid back down on his bed and closed his eyes. As he was falling asleep Abby told him about what she saw. She felt bad for the person and their family because she knew what it was like to almost lose someone you love. Abby's phone rang and she picked it up...
"Hey Abby its Mom. How's E?" Abby's mom asked.
"Oh he's good and stable, at least that's what the nurses say." She responded
"Well, I'm kinda missing you, do you think Ethan is stable enough to let you come home for the night and not worry about him?" Her mom asked.
"No mom," Abby said. "I want to stay here with him."
Ethan waved his hand as if he was saying 'Go ahead, don't worry about me!'
Abby replied to her mom,
"Ok mom, I'm coming home for the night."
Ethan smiled as if he were proud of her for making a good decision. Her mom pulled up and Abby hopped in the car. All was good.

Ethan fell asleep and didn't worry about anything. He was good and so was his health. He was safe and he was going to get to go home soon. Two nurses came in and asked if they could just shuffle his bed over.
"Sure," he said, "why?"
"Oh we just have another patient that we need to make room for." One of the nurses replied quickly.
Ethan was always willing to do the best for people so he had no problem being a little closer to the window. It wasn't a bad thing actually, he could look out the window at the beautiful sunsets at dawn and at dusk. He could watch all the people and their bikes delivering newspapers and girl guide cookies to the neighbourhoods around the hospital. He could watch the flowers grow and blossom. But best of all, he could watch Abby pull up and away every morning and night.

The new bed came in and squished in beside Ethan. He was too busy watching the sunrise to notice anything right away but when he turned around he was shocked. A man in a deep sleep. a coma. Rashes on his wrists, ankles and his neck. He had a neck brace on but he was facing the other way so Ethan couldn't see anything. He felt bad for the poor man because breaking your neck sounds and must feel very painful. The man turned his head over and Ethan looked. He face froze. He was confused, not happy or sad, just the emotion of pure confusion. It was Grayson. Grayson was beside him.

END OF CHAPTER 10
THANKS FOR READING