Boats and skies

"We were this close to getting it working, we were gonna sail the open sea... There she is." Hank gushes as we reach the boat, we let Mason stay behind to take some pictures of the village. She also said I could borrow her camera later. I used to love photography, the sunsets here are amazing and I always wished I could take a picture of them, now's my chance.

"I'm still shocked she's here." I say, gesturing to the beaten up ship.

"Well that's lovely." Conrad states. I can tell he's disappointed with the 'boat' in front of us so I nudge his arm and give the crazy symbol before pointing at Hank.

"Damn right." He sighs out happily before walking to his love.

"This thing even float?" Slivko asks us as he examines the bits and pieces of wreckage.

"He and his friend spent 6 years of their lives building this thing. I've spent 2 trying to bring her to life. She floats." I state from the sidelines, not daring to go near the death trap. James gives me a confused look before he walks up to me.

"What's wrong with it." He stands beside me and looks to the boat.

"I don't like them." I shake my head, my hand naturally going to my stomach.

"Why what happened?"

"I thought I found a way off. Hank wasn't with me. There was another boat and it was running great until.... Until the big one saw me." I look down. One hand at my side.

"It won't happen again, there're more of us now." He tries to comfort.

"I should've died that day." I state, looking at him.

"And you didn't. And now here we are coming and taking you off the island and away from all those creatures." He puts a hand on my shoulder. I give him my best fake smile before he gets back onto the boat. Holding his hand out for me. I look at it for a moment before placing my hand in his outstretched one and jumping onto the boat. It rocks slightly and I grip his arms. He holds me in place until the swaying stops and stares at me.

"I'm fine." I state, not looking him in the eyes. I let go of him and cough awkwardly. Hank looks back at me.

"You alright sunshine? Haven't seen you this close to open water in a while." He smiles genuinely at my presence. I smile back.

"Well I want off this island... And I can't be terrified forever." I shrug off before going to work on the engine. I opened the encasement and saw it not at all how I left it.

"Did you..?"

"I tried." Hank shrugged and looked down, I groaned in utter frustration. I had this thing working perfectly.

"You know what you're doing there girlie?" Nieves calls out to me in a mocking tone.

"I know more than you do about it asshole."

I have to say, I did enjoy the show of the men fixing up the boat.

Nieves didn't even lift a finger.

I was beside Conrad and across from Hank as we worked.

"In the war.. Russia was our ally. Now we're fighting against them?" Hank asks in disbelief.

"Well it's more of a... disaster really." James tries to explain in the best way he can.

"So they take the summer off?" Hank asks, I can't help the slight laugh that erupts from my chest. Marlow looks at me strangely before he continues interrogating our new 'friends'.