Chapter 1

*Gemma's POV*

"Mom, I'll be fine. You know I don't mind the dorms." I said as my mom pulled up to my dorm. I had been staying there for the past two years.

"Are you sure? We can still find you an apartment." Sh said to me.

I looked at her. "It's okay. Ruby and I are fine. We like living together."

"I know, I just want you to be comfortable." She sighed.

I kissed her on the cheek. "I know. Now, do you wanna help me move my stuff back up?" I said, unbuckling.

She smiled. "Sure."

We both got out of the car and to the trunk, popping it open and each grabbing a box.

We walked along the sidewalk, up to the dorms, talking about my classes for the year. My schedule wasn't as packed as it had been, which I was glad. But I was also taking harder classes.

Once we had finished bringing the boxes up, we talked some more.

"I'm so glad you're liking it here." She said, giving me a hug.

"I am too. I like it better than I thought I would." I said, taking in the blank walls and smell of moth balls. The walls would soon be covered with poster and boards, and the smell would change to the light scent of perfume, just as it had been the years before.

She pulled away, and was wiping the corners of her eyes.

"Are you crying?" I asked her.

She sniffled. "My baby is growing up." She said.

I sighed. "Its not like it's my first year, Mom. It's my third." I said. Mom always got emotional over everything.

"I know, I just miss you so much. But I know that you're just living your life." She said, no longer crying.

I gave her a hug. "Don't worry about me, Mom. And I miss you, to." I said.

She hugged me tight. "I should probably get going. I have to get ready for tonight." She said, letting me go.

"What's tonight?" I asked. I was so busy getting ready for college and my classes, I didn't know about anything else going on.

"Gemma, I've told over a hundred times!" she said. "It's your father and I's anniversary!"

"Oh! Sorry!" I said. I had forgotten all about it.

"It's alright. But I really should get going. Your father is going to be home soon, and I still have to get ready." She said.

"I'll walk with you to the car." I said, smiling.

She smiled back at me, and we went out of the room, closing the door behind us.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"I'll see you for Thanksgiving!" I said, waving before she drove away.

"Okay, Gems. I love you!" She said, blowing a kiss to me, waving, and driving off.

When she was gone, I decided to take a walk through the not-so-busy campus. I had come a day early, so I could find my new class buildings and get situated.

I walked along, checking the time as I went. I was supposed to meet Ruby back at the dorm at 4:00, which was in an hour.

I got a text a few minutes later.

~Hey, Gems. I'm gonna be a little late. We forgot something and had to go back. Sorry!

~Ruby c: