Shelter Against the Storm

Dropping wood on the ground inside the cave, Mel began to walk around the pile, doing strange movements. Snowball, easily becoming frustrated, shouted, "What are you doing?!" Mel stopped. "Isn't obvious? I'm doing a fire dance," he replied, a smile on his face. Pops lifted his head and joined the conversation, "You know that doesn't work, right Squash Face?" Norman crawled over with two rocks. "Let me try," he cried as he went up to the pile of wood.

Striking the stones a few times without much luck, the guinea pig finally managed to summon a few sparks. Eventually, a small fire warmed up the cave. "Nice job," Tiberius praised his little friend as Norman laid down next to him. Mel sat down next to Buddy. "That was a bit humiliating," he admitted.

Gidget turned her head to Max, who was laying unconscious by her side. His warm, brown eyes were shut, ice glittering on his soft fur. Twitching in his sleep, he muttered something that was barely audible to anyone but her. To Gidget, it sounded like he said her name, as if he was dreaming about her. With that thought in mind, she went to sleep.

Duke watched this from where he lay near the entrance. They sure do make a lovely couple, those two, he thought to himself. He glanced around at everyone. Ozone was curled up fast asleep next to Leonard and Snowball. Mel and Buddy were both snuggled up with Sweetpea. Norman looked like a mound of fur next to the sleeping Tiberius. No matter how much she hated it, Chloe had fallen asleep next to Pops. Nearby, Max and Gidget lay next to each other, breathing at similar rates. Yawning, Duke dropped his head on his paws and, within minutes, fell asleep.