Nightfall

Paws scuffing across the ground, Max paced back and forth in front of the group. Every once in a while, his eyes would scan the sky, searching for the hawk. "How long has it been since he left?" the small dog demanded for an answer, starting to get a little frustrated. Thinking for a moment, Snowball replied, "About ten to twelve hours." Everyone let out a groan.

Just then, Max heard the sound of wings flapping. Seconds later, Tiberius alighted on the branch of a nearby birch. "What took you so long?!" Chloe hissed at the old hawk, her tail bristling. Noticing a gray feather hanging from her friend's beak, Gidget asked gently, "You went hunting, didn't you?" Glancing to his left and stifling a belch, Tiberius replied, "I have no idea what you're talking about..." Ozone rolled his eyes and muttered, "Stupid bird."

"So, what did you see on your scouting mission?" Max attempted to get everyone back on track. I hope we're not too far from civilization. We're in need of food, he added quietly. "Based on what I saw, I think we're near Buffalo," Tiberius recalled as he stifled another belch and continued, "We might just be able to reach it within an hour from now."

"Then what took you so long to get back?!" Snowball demanded angrily. Clearing his throat, Duke piped up, "I think we know the answer to that question Snowball." With that, everyone glared at the hawk. "Alright! So it's been while since I had a few pigeons! I couldn't help myself," Tiberius admitted. Snowball shook his head in disbelief.