Chapter 2

She came again. Always loud and rude. That useless woman that claims to be my mother. Abandoning me and then coming back in a repetitive cycle. A persistent trash that doesn't know when to stop.

    "Open up! Ray, mommy's here! Don't be shy!"

She always comes on Fridays, when Aunt Amelia goes to work earlier. "Ray! Come on out! Your mother is speaking to you!"

Just disappear already. 

I open my window and shouted.

    "Go away!" I slam close the shutters. That woman just doesn't stop pestering me.

    "Ray, don't you talk to me like that! I was the one who went through the pain to give birth to a brat like you!"

Only because you had to. Grandpa didn't want you to get an abortion, so you were forced to give birth to me.

    "I'll stop for today,but I'll be back next week!" She left leaving with angry clearly painted over her face.

    "I don't need a mother like you." I whisper to myself.

     I climb up the big oak tree again. I knock on the window until I heard her get up to open it.

    "You should just enter through the front door instead of climbing up the tree."

    "I told you. I have my own reasons."

    "So tell me friend, what do friends do together?"

    "Well, first off introductions are needed. I'm currently 14.

    "Oh. So you're younger than me?"

    "Age is but a number."

    "Okay, whatever. I'm Sara Brookes. I'm 16." She glanced awkwardly around. "So..." she trailed off.

    "What is it?"

    "I heard the commotion outside this morning."

    "I'm surprised you just noticed. It's been going every Friday for the past month."

    "Isn't she your mom? You don't live with her?" I looked at Sara grimly.

    "There are plenty of children who don't live with their mom. But I am not one of them."

    "But the lady kept saying that she was."

    "She certainly gave birth to me, but she was never a mother to me whatsoever."

    "Well this conversation is getting dark. Let's talk about something else."

    "Why don't you ever go out?"

    "That's what I meant."

    "So why don't you."

    "Ray, I rather not talk about that."

    "Sara, it better to confront your fears than avoid them."

    "Then you first. Let's go back to your story."

I sighed. Looks like there's no avoiding it. 

    "It involves that no good woman that gave birth to me. She certainly was a failure to everyone else in my family." I started.

    "Well, maybe she had difficulties growing up." Sara commented.

    "Difficulties? That's funny. My grandparents cared for their 3 children very much. They didn't even discriminate against a single one of them. All 3 children were treated equal unlike the one gave birth to me. My biological mother was twisted in a way. She knew how to manipulate the people around her. My dad died when I was 4. I had a total of 3 step-dads by the time I was 8. All of them, including my biological one, died in strange ways."