Chapter 3

Sara, if I had describe her, she is a wonderfully nice person. She doesn't look at me with jealousy eyes and sneers of disgust due to being the child of that woman. She may be the only one that I can call my friend. Time flew to late July. I spent 3 weeks with Sara. Each day, we talk and discuss on possible ways for her to go outside. Things do seems a bit better. Today could possibly be the day when she can leave her house.

"Sara, do you can do it?"

"Yes. No. Maybe?"

"Be confident with yourself. We tried for 3 weeks, so this time you can do it."

"But... it's hard for me to just think about it. Why don't we do this next week, or maybe next month?"

"You can do it." I reassured her.

"Okay, I'm going downstairs now."

"Good luck." I sat on the tree branch while I wait for Sara to come outside. The slow sound of a door gently being opened was heard. The door was open but I didn't look. My eyes were closed.

"Ray! I taking a step out now!" She exclaimed.

"You can do it Sara. Believe in yourself!" I cheered.

Sara walked slowly towards the tree and knocked on the tree truck.

"I did it! I came out of the house!"

I jump down from the branch, landing perfectly.

"Success!" I high five her. We grinned, so happy about the progress.

I looked at the time. "It's almost lunchtime. I have to go back aunt Amelia's waiting. Do you want to come over?"

"Sure, my parents are visiting my grandparents right now and I don't want to eat microwaved food."

Then I heard a voice that wasn't supposed to be heard on a Sunday.

"Ray, dear."

It was that good for nothing woman. I glared at her.

"What are you doing here!"

"Why? Can't a mother visit her own child." Her words slurred. She was intoxicated.

"Go away, you drunk." I sneered at her.

She slapped my right cheek.

"Don't dare speak to your mother like that!" Her face was red, whether it was from the alcohol or her angry, I'm not too sure.

"Mother? Where? I don't see her."

Before she could slap me again I grabbed Sara's hand and ran for Aunt Amelia's house. "Sara, you go in through the door, I'll climb up my rope ladder."

"Ray, that dangerous. She'll catch you."

"I'd like to see her try." I pushed Sara towards the front door.

Sara ran for the front door while I started climbing up the ladder. That woman came and screamed.

"Ray, you can't run from me forever!"

"Oh, yeah? Well I don't want to run either, but you see, I rather run than turn into someone like you."

She laughed wildly at my words.

"You're my daughter, of course you're going to end up like me!"

"No thank you. I refuse to."

In her drunken fury, that woman held onto the ends of the rope ladder and started to shake it violently. I held on as tight as I could. Sara came and tried to stop her. Aunt Amelia was watching in panic and trying to call the police. The rope ladder came loose from all the shaking and I fell along with it as it slipped out. Hitting the ground,I blacked out.