Chapter Five

(A/N: Okay, short chapter I know sorry :/ but I felt creative today and had some extra time to write so I finished the chapter and now I'm updating :D so here it is and enjoy :) )

When Harry finally makes it to us, Niall immediately went in for a fist bump and yelled, “Hazza!”

Harry’s eyes met mine and I giggled at his nickname, to which his cheeks started to pink up. But he fist bumped Niall back.

“Selene, this is Harry—” Niall started.

“We already know each other, Niall. We go to school together,” Harry interrupted.

“Oh,” Niall said. An awkward silence came over all of us, despite the loud music vibrating the entire house. “I’m going to go get another drink,” Niall said soon after, and walked off towards the kitchen.

Harry was smirking down at me and I smiled a bit back at him. Suddenly we both started talking at the same time, Harry asking me what I was doing here, and me asking him if he drinks. We both laugh and Harry answered first, “I do, but when I drink, it’s something a lot stronger than beer,” he said, pointedly looking at my red cup.

Was that because he wanted to get drunk right away? To forget about things? The questions were at the tip of my tongue, but instead all I said was, “Oh, cool.” I was also hoping he’d forget he asked me a question. I had no such luck.

“Your turn to answer my question, Acosta,” he chuckled.

I sighed, rubbing the back of my neck before I answered. “I’m here for Lacey, actually. Aaron said he’s going to ask her out tonight.”

Harry looked behind him at the dancing crowd before turning back to me. “You seem very loyal to her,” he noted.

“I’m loyal to all my friends,” I said defensively.

“Even your friend Ken?” Harry asked, his voice suddenly changing.

            I frowned in confusion, before I realized who he was talking about. “You mean Ben?”

            “Yeah, him,” Harry said in an annoyed tone.

            “He’s my friend, of course I’m loyal to him. Why are you asking about Ben?”

            “Do you like him?” He asked, leaning in, his shoulders tense.

            “What? Why would you ask that?” I asked, still confused.

            “Do. You. Like. Him?” Harry asked through gritted teeth.

            “No!” I yelled at him, leaning in too to make my point. “God, why does it even matter if I did?”

            “I think you know why,” he said angrily, but seemed more relieved now. His eyes flickered down to my lips and back up to my eyes.

            I felt blood rush to my cheeks and I tried to take a step back but Harry grabbed my wrist and said forcefully, “Don’t.”

            My breath caught in my throat and Harry took a step closer, but before anything could happen, a very drunk Lacey appeared and grabbed onto my shoulder. A few seconds later a, thankfully sober looking, Aaron came next.

“I tried to get her to stop drinking so much, but she kept saying she wanted to party. I’m so sorry. I can take her home if you’d like?” Aaron told me earnestly.

I bit my lip, thinking it over. I couldn’t drive well, I’d probably kill us. “If you do anything to hurt her at all, I’ll rip off your balls and feed them to you, got it?” I told him, looking him dead in the eyes.

Taken aback, Aaron gulped but nodded. Sighing, I shook free of Harry’s hold on me and pulled the keys out of my pocket and handed them to Aaron. Taking hold of Lacey who was bouncing up and down, he led her through the crowd and out of the house.

When I looked back at Harry, he looked like he was trying to hold back laughter.

“What?” I asked, raising my eyebrows.

“Nothing, I just never thought of you as the violent type is all,” he chuckled.

I rolled my eyes and pushed him lightly with one of my hands, but Harry captured it in both of his.

Then he asked, “Maybe, since you don’t seem ready to go out, we could just hang out sometime?”

“We’re kind of hanging out now,” I said sheepishly, not wanting to pull my hand away from him. It was warm in there, but I loved how his huge hands encased my small one.

It was Harry’s turn to roll his eyes. “I mean alone, just you and me. And not working on our project, which by the way, is due Monday,” he pointed out, smirking.

I bit my lip again, not sure what to say. What would we do? What if it got awkward? What if we ran out of things to say? But you two never run out of things to talk about, I remembered. Just see where it takes you, the side that wanted to be with Harry urged me. Turned out that side won, because I ended up saying, “On one condition we can hang out.”

He grinned and asked, “And what would that be, Acosta?”

Smiling, I told him, “Drive me home tonight.”