Chapter One

“Shit, shit, shit,” I muttered as I scrambled to get my clothes on. Normally, my alarm goes off and I have plenty of time to get ready for school, making myself perfectly presentable. But apparently the fates were against me being early this morning, since my alarm didn’t go off as it was supposed to.

            Ripping on my jeans, I then stumbled around my room trying to put my socks on. On my way out of room I grabbed my oversized sweatshirt and backpack. Once in the bathroom, I skipped putting on makeup and threw my blonde hair into a messy bun that looked somewhat on purpose. After brushing my teeth, I quickly put my sweatshirt on and headed downstairs.

            Mom was nowhere to be seen, but she’d left a note saying she’d already gone to work and was going to be out late and not to wait up. Crumpling up the note in frustration, I threw it in the trash on my way to the fridge.

            Whatever, that just means I can have friends over after school. Maybe even Ben. Wait, crap, I have tutoring with Erik today. I grabbed an apple from the fridge and kicked it closed, slinging my bag over my shoulder and heading out the door.

            There, waiting patiently in his car, was Ben. Conveniently, he was my neighbor and was willing to drive Erik and me to school. “Hey guys,” I greeted them as I got into the backseat.

            “Hey Selene,” Ben said, turning around to smile at me.

            “Dude, drive or we’ll be late. No offense Selene, but I’m holding you accountable if we’re late,” Erik piped up from the passenger seat.

            I rolled my eyes while Ben hit Erik in the arm before pulling away from the curb. “Are you still free to tutor me after school today?” I asked Erik.

            He merely gave a thumbs up to me. The rest of the car ride was silent besides the quiet hum from the radio. Ben was more of a listener, and Erik wasn’t easy to carry a conversation with. It was too early for me to put effort into a conversation so I didn’t say anything until we got to the school.

            Ben walked me to my locker while Erik headed off to his own once we were parked and inside the building.

            “So how are your classes going?” He asked, leaning against one of the other lockers.

            “Pretty good except for geometry, thank god there’s Erik. If I didn’t have a session with him after school, I’d totally have Lacey, Shelly, and you over,” I told him, grabbing the books I needed and switching them out for the ones I didn’t.

            “Well when does the tutoring end? Maybe after we could—”

            “Selene!” A familiar voice called through the crowd of students.

            “Lacey, you don’t have to be so loud!” I half yelled at her once she reached us. She flipped her long brown hair off her shoulder and grinned at my annoyance.

            “Where’s the fun in being quiet?” She asked, giggling.

            Not answering, I closed my locker and slid to the floor until my butt hit it. “Sit,” I patted the seat next to me for either of them.

            Lacey made a face while Ben made an excuse that he had to be somewhere else and then left. I pouted but soon Shelly showed up, coffee in hand. She sat down next to me and handed me her coffee to take a sip from. The three of us talked for a bit about some gossip spreading around and a few of our classes.