Unspoken Words underneath the Lights

- 05 -

SOMEWHERE IN THE POOL GARDEN of the Sales house, a boy and a girl who seemed in grade school are playing excitedly with their experiment kits. The boy carefully placing the five 1.5 liters of diet coke which are lined up diagonally on a rectangular table while the girl on the opposite side is arranging the wine glasses in a random position and filling each glass with uneven amount of water.

The boy then runs after a pocket of mentos from the school bag lying dully on the floor near the pool.

"Hey Stefan look at this!" said the boy excitedly as he ran with a mouthful of mentos in his hand. But the girl didn't look, she ignored the boy and continued harping the wine glasses.

He then drops the packet of mentos in one bottle of diet coke, after a few seconds, whooooosh! the sticky diet coke shoots up in the air! Most of it poured down on the girl named Stefan and some on her wine glasses.

"JESSE!!!!!!!!!!!!" she bellowed furiously.

But instead of being apologetic, the boy cried out a laugh.

The girl then took a bottle of diet coke and splashed it quickly at the boy while his guard was still down. She targeted the face big time!

"BULL'S EYE!" she yelled in victory.

"STEFAAAAAAN!" scowled the boy but the girl just replied a puffed-up face and laughed at him.

To simply counterattack, the younger Jerry started running after her until they chase each other. It was a fun play, both were enjoying each other's company until the girl accidentally slipped her foot and fell off the pool.

"GWEN!" cried the boy. Without thinking, he valiantly dived into the water.

"YOU IDIOT! YOU CAN'T SWIM!" cried the girl seeing her friend drowning.

She swam going to younger Jerry's location. It's real, the girl can swim, she swam like a professional. The boy must be playing or trying to impress the girl that he can already swim but it turned out to be an epic failure.

She tried to save the drowning boy who fell unconscious after he jumped into the water. With all her might, she lifted up the boy's body into the surface.

"Uy Jesse!" she cried, waking up the boy.

"Jesse!" she called.

She then made up her mind, she'll resurrect the boy by none other than, mouth to mouth resuscitation. She has to do it.

She pumped the boy's chest, she breathed, she held the head back slightly to open the airways. She breathed again.

When she is about to place her mouth over the nose and the boy's mouth, an adult voice called.

"Jerry"

The boy is still not responding but already conscious. The adult voice called again, "Jerry".

The boy opened his eyes slowly, but everything around him is blurry. And it is not the summer clear blue sky that faced him but a ceiling of dull blue.

"Jerry"

An adult voice called again.

Everything gradually became clear and he searched for the source of the voice.

"Sir"

And when he looked to his left, Manang Siling was right beside him looking worried.

"Pinapagising na po kayo ni Ma'am Brenda"

He didn't answer, he wiped his face and his neck with his hand. He realized that he bathed in his own sweat.