Chapter 15

When I woke, I was in the pack infirmary, the smell of bleach and lemon washing over me, making me gag. I opened my eyes, blinking a few times to clear the fog in my vision.

"Ah, you're awake" I turned my head to the left, noticing the slightest ajar door with a familiar face sticking through the gap. I smiled weakly

"How long have I been out, James?"

"Long enough for the doctors to turn you into an experiment. Assholes" The last part was muttered under his breath, barely audible to even wolf ears, but still, I heard it loud and clear.

"What do you mean by experiment?"

"I mean they've been taking blood samples and drawing up some weird charts in an attempt to figure you out, when we already bloody know what you are." His voice was firm, a sort of protective tone which made my love for my little brother increase immensely. He was going to make a great Alpha one day. I replayed his words, finally noticing that I was restrained by heavy wolfsbane-infused steel cuffs. We only carried wolfsbane infused metals, it's the only organic material that actually causes damage to a werewolf. The pain should've been borderline agonising with how tight the restrains were, but it only felt like a tingle.

That would be because I'm not affected by it as much. Rae stated, she sounded more tired than usual, also as if she was relieved but not so much so that she wasn't on edge. I envisioned her ridge standing higher than usual, and felt her pacing in the back of my mind.

Rae, relax please.

Hard to.

Why?

Because you are about to have all of your questions answered, unfortunate for you.

Rae what the- With that ominous reply, she cut off our connection before I could ask her what she meant. I groaned internally, the stubborn mutt. 

"So, blood samples. Is that because of what happened with Alpha Tony?" I said, trying to keep my tone light and controlled.

"More like because every wolf in our pack was bleeding from the ears and nose at the exact same time" James's voice was unsteady, I realized he still had a bit of blood not yet wiped leaking from his nose. I motioned for him to come forward, smiling sadly. He approached cautiously, flinching slightly as I reached out with a tissue from the nearby side table, wiping the dark blood just before it touched his lip. He smiled lightly, a grateful smile.

"What has that got to do with me?" I asked tentatively.

"We didn't start bleeding until we heard you scream," My eyes widened "It was something crazy, like something of the old stories. One minute we are all doing our own thing, the next we all hear your voice, or Rae's voice bellow 'NOW'. Then we are all on the ground in pure agony!" James was rambling, both excited and terrified, but nonetheless, curious. I looked down at my hands. I had already broken an Alpha's rule; never cause harm to your pack.

"Undo my restraints, I wish to address my pack"

"Dad said not to, he's"

"Dad isn't your Alpha anymore, James, free me" James gulped visibly, but bowed his head. Within moments my wrists were mobile and I was quickly off the white sheets and out the door, James hot on my heels.

"What are you going to do?"

"Tell everyone that I didn't mean to harm them"

"What about Phoenix?" I stilled at James's question, turning on my heel.

"What happened to him?" I focused in my hearing, listening for James's heart rate.

"He's a human Kota, and as far as we know, he was closest to you when Rae went off" My eyes widened.

"Where is he?" James shook his head. I growled and focused my hearing in further, seeking out Phoenix. Faintly, I heard the soft, dying thud of a human heart. Turning towards the sound, I darted through the infirmary, James no longer following. Within moments, I was at the Intensive Care ward, my pale hands pushing open the doors with such a force that they slammed against the walls that held them. My eyes search across the empty room, until they landed on a mop of unruly hair. I sighed as I reached the bed, "Phoenix, I'm so sorry".

The human before me was pale, his face drained of blood, and the life in his vacant eyes evidently dying. His once vibrant smile was a flat line and his once sun-kissed, worn skin, was pulled smooth. His now wide chest was rising and falling slowly, the only indication he was still alive. Blood stilled poured freely from his nose and ears, a thick dark fluid that made me sick to my stomach. My eyes began to well, and my heart lurched into my throat. I reached out and grabbed Phoenix's cold hand.

"He's dying." I growled at the male voice behind me. I turned my head, my narrowed, wet eyes met Duke's cold ones.

"Clearly."

"I'm sorry."

"Fuck off." I growled out. Duke had a move to come forward. I snarled lowly, and he moved back. His face screwed up as he huffed. A minute later, he turned away from me. Turning back to Phoenix, I whimpered and dropped my head. "I'll fix this Phoenix, but you'll hate me. If you live though, I wouldn't care".

Phoenix's eyes twitched, a ghost of a smile in the corners of them. A smile fell lightly across my cheeks. Then his eyes closed and his heart slowing to a tap.

Whimpering once more, I bared my canines, and sunk them into the skin where his shoulder meets his neck. In seconds a hoarse scream ripped from Phoenix's throat and his heart stopped all together.