Chapter 7

I left the meeting room in a daze. How was I going to find a Beta and a Third in a day? I racked my brain for people I trusted in this pack, and came up empty. I soon ssmelt the presence of Duke behind me and I whipped around to face his disgruntled face.

"You left early"

"I had a meeting with my father"

"About?"

"Pack business."

"Don't trust your mate?"

"It just doesn't concern someone not of this pack." I turned and walked towards the kitchen. I knew he was following me, but I didn't care. I had to figure out someone to be my trusted helpers with the pack. That was the dumbest way of saying Beta and Third. I reached the kitchen and went striaght for the butlers pantry. It was a lot bigger than it really needed to be, but we still filled it with an inappropriate amount of food. I located the waffle batter and smiled. The smile was short lived as I was forced to spin and was now peering into the angry eyes of my mate. "Can I help you?" I said, my annoyance getting the best of me. Duke just continued to glare at me, I got fed up with it. "Look, if you don't-" 

I was cut off by Duke smashing his lips onto mine. My body responded immediately. I ran my hands up his arms into his hair, tugging lightly. He groaned into the kiss, and began to fight for dominance. I wasn't having a bar of it. Duke lifted me onto the bench behind me and positioned himself between my legs. I stifled a moan and tightened my legs aroudn his waist. Duke groaned again and I smirked into the kiss. Duke moved his attention to my neck and I moved my right hand from his hair to his chest. 

It was at that moment James walked into the pantry.

"Holy crap! Couldn't you of done that elsewhere?!" I quickly pushed Duke away from me and hopped off the counter. I turned to face James, smirking to try and cover my embarrassment.

"Don't think I didn't see what you did at the party last night, J. Who was that little blondey that you were flirting with?" I winked at the last part and James face when red. He was blushing.

"Nobody, just a friend, we weren't flirting." His voice was quiet and he looked at the ground, suddenly very interesting in his shoes. I scoffed.

"Thats just why you kissed her. Yep, sounds like friends." I turned to face Duke briefly, admiring his smirk and look of pride. My heart swelled and I adverted my gaze as fast as I could. James had snapped his head up to look at me, a look of terror crossed his face.

"Please don't tell anyone. You know what dad is like. 'don't mess with relationships, you have a mate out there somewhere'. His whole idea of that is something he takes-"

"Very seriously, I know." James smiled breifly then furrowed his brow in confusion.

"Didn't you two date before you, um..."

"Before I left? Yes we did, Dad frowned upon it heavily" I replied, ignoring the way he struggled to say it. I made almost three years of his time incredibly difficult. I didn't want to dwell on it. James nodded, deciding to change the subject fast.

"I only came in for the waffle batter." I grinned.

"Remember how I use to make them?" James face lit up, and I held the batter up. 

"Hell yes! I'm getting Bekka!" James bolted from the pantry and I chuckled following him out except heading to the bench. Duke had followed me out, but I tried to ignore him.

"Mind if I stick around to see what the fuss is about?" His deep voice was right in my ear and shivered involuntarily. I turned to face him, and pushed him away from me lightly.