Ch.7 Something New

Ch.7 (Joey’s POV)

    All I can feel is throbbing pain in my head. I slowly open my eyes and see a blurry Annabelle kneeling over me.

    “What.. happened..?” I say trying to reach up and feel my head, but the helmet is blocking my way.

    “Joey! I am so sorry! I never thought Hank would bolt as something like that! You fell and hit your head on the stump.” Everything starts to come back. I remember the branch breaking and me falling.

    “Let me help you sit up a little? Are you okay?” Annabelle says. She grabs my arm and slowly sits me up. I go dizzy for a minute but it passes.

    “I think I am fine.” I undo the strap under my chin and wince as I lift  the helmet off my head. I reach up and there is a bump but no blood. I then look at the helmet and see there is a huge crack across the back where my head hit it. I trace the outline of it with my finger and realize it probably saved my life.

    “And that, is why you always wear a helmet.” I look up at her and attempt a smile but it hurts.

    “Joey, I am really so sorry. I should have never asked you to come.” Her eyes lower to the ground.

    “Annabelle it was a risk I took it’s not like you knew this would happen or could have stopped it. I am okay, just dizzy. Just have to sleep it off!” I smile at her but she doesn’t smile back.

    “That’s the other thing.. Well, you see, After you fell, Hank took off..” Annabelle says.

    “He took off? So what does that mean?” I ask.

    “It means that we are stuck here till morning when we can walk out in daylight, It’s almost dark and you aren’t in good enough shape to walk out.” Annabelle says.

    This had to be the weirdest date I had ever been on. I had been on the amazing race though and one night wasn’t a big deal. I hear something by Annabelle and when I look over I realize she is crying.

    “Hey, Annabelle, don’t cry.”I say as I scootch closer to her.

    “I just am so sorry for putting you through this.” She starts to cry a little more but hides her face in her hands. I take her hands in mine and pull them from her face, then hold them in my own.

    “Annabelle, this is truly the most interesting date I have been on in so long, probably ever. It is no big deal, It’s like camping!” I say with enthusiasm. I see her smile through the tears.

    “Okay.” She wipes her face and smiles. Then she stands up and takes my hand.

'    “Let’s get you up now.” She says. I attempt to stand as she pulls me up, but I almost fall and have to grab onto her to keep my balance. In my attempt to grab onto her I end up falling and pushing her down to.

    As we hit the ground I laugh and she does to. I look into her eyes and at that moment, I am not sure what took over. I put my hand under  Anabelle’s head and entwine my fingers into her long brown hair. I then slowly lower my head to her until our lips touch. At first she didn’t kiss me back, but seconds later her hand had moved to my head and was pulling me farther down to her.

    After I broke the kiss, I looked down at Annabelle’s still closed eyes. When she opened them she quickly blushed and slid out from under me.

    “I am going to go get the blanket and things from Magic.” She turns from me quickly and hurries off. I find it adorable how innocent she is.

(Annabelle’s POV)

    What just happened? I am literally shaking as I walk up to Magic. I just kissed a man I had only dreamed of kissing before. My fingers refuse to work as I try to untie the girth on Magic’s saddle. I had only had one boyfriend since highschool, I had focused everything on the horses, on making something of myself and Joey had been a big part of that. Now he was becoming a big part of the love side of my life too. I finally got the saddle undone and took it over to where we originally had the picnic. Joey was sitting against the tree.

    I take the saddle and put the stirrups under it and set it at the base of the tree so Joey could use the seat as pillow. I take the blanket out and lay it next to the saddle for him too. It wasn’t the most comfortable set up but he deserved it after what he had been through today. I take Magic’s saddle pad, which today was luckily the folded blanket style and lay it out for myself, next to his.

    “You can lay your head on the saddle as a pillow for your head.” I say to Joey as I sit down on my blanket.

    “Thank you Annabelle, and listen I am sorry if I moved to fast before.” Joey said to me as he layed down on the blanket.

    I wish I was brave enough to tell him to kiss me again. Instead I didn’t say anything, but smiled and turned to face the pond while laying on the blanket.

(Joey’s POV) Later In The Night

    I wake up and look up at the stars. It takes me a second to realize where I am. Then I look over to Annabelle who looks like she is in the most uncomfortable position ever. I reach over to her arm and shake her a little.

    “Annabelle.. come here.” I whisper. She barely wakes up but I take her arm and pull her against my chest. In seconds she is asleep with her head on my chest. I reach around her and grab the blanket to cover us.

    Not one girl I had dated before her would ever have done this. This was the wildest, weirdest, most beautiful date I had ever been on. I kiss her head and fall asleep again.