Chapter 2

"You know the truth by the way it feels."
- Anonymous

⚔️

Ash was already up, pacing his bedroom. It was three in the morning, the sun was not yet out, and most were sleeping. He pulled out two Pokéballs; they held his smaller Pokémon. Quietly slipping out of his room to avoid waking Serena, he exited the apartment and onto the dark and cold streets of Kalos.

He tossed his two Pokéballs into the air and two Pokémon appeared. One was a feline-like purple Pokémon whose red gem on her forehead glistened in the darkness. The other was a yellow mouse, whose bright red cheeks sparkled with electricity.

"We're going for a run," Ash muttered. His two Pokémon nodded and they started jogging through the lonely streets of Lumiose City.

They continued for four hours, going at a steady pace throughout their entire time, covering forty miles. By the time they had finished, the city was waking up. Light in stores flashed on, houses were slowly being filled with waking people, and the street lights turned off. They reentered Serena's house without using a key and Ash found Serena at the stove, cooking.

"Where were you?" Serena asked calmly, flipping a pancake from the pan to the plate with skill. "If you couldn't tell, we're having pancakes for breakfast. Do you want anything else?"

"Running," Ash replied. "No, that is fine."

"Do you want to take a shower?" Serena asked. "There is a bathroom down the hallway, take a left, then a right. The bathroom should be on the left."

"No, thank you," Ash said, sitting down at the counter.

"I have a meeting with Palermo today," Serena said. "I'm not going to say who that is. You can read my mind. I'll be using Skype, so do interrupt me, okay?"

"When is it?" Ash asked.

"One to three," Serena replied, placing a plate of hot pancakes in front of Ash, laden with many kinds of berries and syrup. "I never asked your name. What is it?"

"Satoshi," Ash answered, picking up the butter knife next to him and spinning it in his hand.

Serena looks amused. "You do know that's not a weapon, correct?"

"You're not scared I could hurt you?" Ash asked, cutting the pancakes.

Serena laughed, saying, "As I said, that's not a weapon. Anyway, I can dodge pretty well and I trust you." Ash's face clouded at the word trust but he didn't say anything, stuffing a pancake into his mouth.

⚔️

"Do you want to feed your Pokémon, Satoshi?" Serena asked as Ash finished his last pancake.

"They will eat outside," Ash said curtly, standing up. He walked out to Serena's spacious backyard, six Pokéballs appearing on his belt. Ash tossed the first Pokéball into the air and a large orange lizard appeared on the grass, roaring his fury into the sky as he let loose a white torrent of white-hot flames.

"Charizard," Ash said, quietly. "Relax."

Three more Pokémon appeared. One was a familiar purple feline Pokémon, while the other was a green lizard with a twig sticking out of his mouth. IT cooly stares down the entire lawn while Ash let out another Pokémon. Its large white belly heaved, sleeping deeply. The final Pokémon was an all-too-familiar Pikachu, who was jumping from a diving board, attempting to reach the other side of the pool without once touching the water.