Chapter 3

"The best revenge is to live on and prove yourself."
- Eddie Vedder

⚔️

Ash examined himself in the mirror, nearly snorting with disgust at his appearance. He wore the black T-shirt and jeans Serena gave him with the brown contacts Espeon had fetched for him. He'd smoothed down his hair so it would not be the recognizable raven-hair he always wore.

He glanced at the Pokeballs in his bag, examining them to make sure they were the Pokemon

Espeon flicked her tail next to him, examining him. "You look normal enough. Go." Ash rolled his eyes but said nothing, slinging his pack over his shoulder.

Espeon caught his gesture and frowned at him. "Serena thinks you should learn to make friends. So do I. Ash, you need to learn that not all humans are the same," Espeon said. "Now get going or you might lose a place to stay."

⚔️

"Serena, who is this?" A snide voice asked, obviously displeased about Ash being here. They were in Shaymin Park and Ash was situated in front of Serena's group of friends. Though a shining Sun sat in the sky, a gentle breeze brought the scent of lavender and lilac, and there wasn't even a wisp of cloud in the sky, Ash was not happy.

He had been greeted with an unpleasant surprise as he had entered the park. Unfortunately, all of Serena's friends were people he never wished to see again. He wished he had never come at all; nothing good could come out of this meeting.

"Guys, this is Satoshi!" Serena said with a slightly forced cheerfulness. "Satoshi, these are my friends. Say hi, everyone!" Serena's smile faltered when no one said anything. Ash was radiating a hostility that did not recommend himself to Serena's friends. Ash had no wish to say hello but merely stared up at the sky, eyes flickering as they followed a flock of Staraptors in the sky.

Serena was about to start a conversation when Ash's gaze suddenly jerked towards Dawn. "What's up with your hair?" Ash suddenly asked, frowning at Dawn. Dawn returned his frown, reaching into her bag to find her mirror. After examining herself for a few seconds before realizing what had happened.

A Staraptor had pooped on her hair.

"You did that," a familiar man with mauve hair that hung over his tanned skin accused. His eyebrows slanted downwards, fixing his expression into one of irritability. "I don't know how you did that, but you did. So battle me, now, unless you're too...weak to do so."

Ash merely shrugged in reply, silently letting out Espeon, who looked at Paul. Paul felt a fear he had never expected to feel from such a small Pokémon, but he steeled his nerves as he said, "Electivire, end this once and for all!"

"Espeon, end it." Espeon gave a noncommittal nod and stared at Electivire, eyes glowing a bright purple as she released a Psybeam, knocking out the Thunderbolt Pokémon, who collapsed on the ground. Paul's eyes widen at the sight of his strongest Pokemon vanquished by a mere Espeon.

Ash returned Espeon as Paul returned Electivire, sending out Torterra. Out came Pikachu, whose cheeks sparkled with electricity and anger at the sight of his former friends.

In an attempt to gain back his pride, Paul snorts with disgust. "A Pikachu? Any amateur would have evolved it by now. And any amateur knows that you don't send an Electric-type out against a Ground-type."

Ash didn't reply, nodding to Pikachu. The electric mouse launched himself up into the air as Ash called, "Quick Attack, go!" Pikachu rammed himself against the Continent Pokémon and as he rebounded, Ash commanded, "Iron Tail, now!" Pikachu's tailed glowed silver as it slammed his tail into the head of Torterra, who collapsed.