Chapter 2

When I got back to New York I drove back to the hospital to see how my mother is doing. As I walk down the hallway, I see Dr. Roberts ending a conversation with a nurse, so I take this opportunity to ask him where I should go from here.

"Hello Dr. Roberts."

"Oh, hello Christina what can I do for you?"

"Well I was wondering whether or not you could give me some advice. I don't really know what I should do when my mother checks out of the hospital."

"Well she could always move back home with you. You did say she had to quit her job right."

"That's the thing I went down to her employer today, and since she was a live-in maid, if I were to replace her, I would have to move down there."

"I see then the only thing you can do is find a place to live near your employer and hire in an in house health aid for your mother. You can also find a nursing home if it inconvenient. I'm just trying to give you options." Dr. Roberts gives me a slight smile, and I can see he truly wants to help. 

"I see thanks for your help. When will the biopsy be completed? "

"Within the next four days or so we should have the full results of the test back. We'll know more then and decide the best course of treatment for your mother. In the meantime try not to stress too much about it." 

"Thank you Dr. Roberts, and I'll try." 

"Anytime." Dr. Roberts nods his head and walks down the hall to a nurse waiting for him to see his next patient. I sigh and try to put on a brave face before I enter my mothers room. The last thing I need her to do is worry about what I'm thinking, so I have to be strong for her. 

  As I open the door, I find  my mother chatting with Stacy. She had brought my mother chicken empanadas for lunch. 

"Hey Mom, how are you feeling?" I place my bag on an open chair and give her a kiss on her forehead.

"Tired dear, did you see Mrs. Anderson?"

"Yeah I did," I say with a sigh sitting down. "She said that I would have to move into her house if I am to work for her, but that would mean leaving school."

"Oh no," Stacy says as a frown forms on her face.

"Christina I'm sorry you have to go through all of this."

"Mama I told you to stop beating yourself up. It's not your fault remember."

"Well did you make a decision?"

I took a deep breath before sharing my news. "I have decided to leave NYU and work for Mrs. Anderson for the time being while you recover."

Stacy and my mother looked surprised as I sat there fidgeting with fingers.

"Are you sure about this Christina? This is a big decision which ultimately impacts your future, I just want you to be 100% sure about it."

"Yes, mama I have to support myself, even if that means putting school on hold. When you are better I can always go back the next semester."

"Dear I'm sorry, maybe you can find another school near Mrs. Anderson's."

"Yeah I guess you're right." What my mother doesn't know is that NYU is my dream school, and when I finally got into it, I was beyond happy. Just the thought of leaving saddens me to no end.

As we continue to talk, a nurse comes into the room to check my mothers vital signs. After recording some information down we watch as the nurse leaves.