Saruman's Army

[I dedicate this chapter to @camilla_took55 because she has been a very encouraging reader, and she is also a fabulous writer as well! Thanks for the support, camilla, it is much appreciated.]

The Battle of Bywater held devastating results for the hobbits of the Shire. Never before had they been forced to put their lives on the line for something other than their own personal venues, and certainly this was one of the very first times in which some of their loved ones were killed horribly in war. For it was a war, to the little hobbits. A war for the Shire and for their friends. And while most of them didn't believe in adventures, all of them believed in friendship and loyalty, and none would leave their friends to face the enemy alone.

And so it was for the next three days; hobbits going out of their way--even going as far as missing second breakfast and luncheon and afternoon tea--to fight for the freedom of the Shire, and most importantly, to fight for their friends.

Daffodil, Nettle and Thorn were still beside themselves over the loss of Ivy, but Sam was absolutely devastated. Each day he was the last one to leave the battlefield; looking out into the forest after everyone had gone home for food and sleep. One night, Merry, Pippin and Frodo stayed with him, and stared into the forest when he did, and stood there for as long as he did, and none of them uttered a word. They all learned through this experience that the most painful noise is a deafening silence.

---

On the afternoon of the third day, it became apparent to Saruman that the hobbits were getting tired of fighting. They were getting tired of losing friends, and were getting tired of waiting. Since the beginning of the battle, ten hobbits had been killed, and five more had been badly wounded. Saruman was pleased with himself. He had instructed his army that killing was a necessary part in the scouring of the Shire, and his idea that the inhabitants would tire of the drama proved to be inevitably true. It was only a matter of time before they succumbed underneath the weight of his wickedness, and once that occurred, Saruman would take the Shire for himself and become its rightful ruler.

On the afternoon of the third day, it became apparent to the hobbits that they were growing weary, and though they outnumbered the orcs and men, their size prevented them from gaining the upper hand. Both sides had experienced about the same number of deaths.Daffodil, Nettle and Thorn had been fighting all morning, and the exhaustion of holding up a sword and running around was beginning to show.

Daffodil had a determined frown on her face, and her cheek was streaked with mud, giving her dark eyes emphasis. Nettle's sandal-wood hair was terribly tangled, and her eyebrows were creased in such a way that meant she was still having trouble seeing all the death around her. Thorn, who had been following Pippin like a puppy-dog since the day Ivy had been taken, had pure fire in her green eyes as she twirled her dagger in her hands like an expert.

Pippin was pleased by the attention Thorn had been giving him lately, but he couldn't help but wonder if she was really attached to him, or merely seeking comfort after Ivy had been kidnapped by Saruman. He glanced sideways at her while they were fighting, and felt a tingling at the back of his neck when he saw her auburn hair and her bright eyes. Her usual playfulness had all but disappeared from her face, but for some reason it suited her.

Pippin ducked as an orc swung its axe around his head, and drove his knife into its stomach with a loud battle cry. When the orc was dead, he looked over at Thorn and found that she was looking back at him. He nodded at her. Whatever happened, they would stay together and fight till the bitter end.

Daffodil almost grinned when she saw Thorn and Pippin fighting together, and a spark of content lit in her chest when she saw how well they worked together. Before the end, she felt that somehow their fates would be entwined with one another. A growl startled her and she turned back to the enemy that was facing her and she winced when her sword cut into the man's soft flesh. But he only roared and charged at her. She slid between his legs and was able to dodge his second attack, but it was getting harder to run. She'd had enough exercise for one day. Couldn't she just go home?!

Frodo saw the dilemma Daffodil was in, because even though he was engrossed in his own opponent, he had been keeping an eye on Daffodil and was making sure she was all right. When he saw that she was in need of help, he ran from the man in front of him and jumped in to save her at the last moment. Daffodil was grateful when he took the man's attention from her, but jumped up to fight alongside him. If he ever got hurt, she would never forgive herself.

Merry and Nettle were together on the other side of the battlefield. They had somehow worked their way over to each other during the battle, and were now side-by-side, teaming up against a particularly ugly orc. Nettle was starting to get used to fighting now, but it still wrenched something deep inside her whenever something or someone died in front of her. When she had volunteered to go to battle, she had never imagined it to be like this.

Merry was looking over at his Nettle to make sure she was all right, and at that very moment, the orc slashed his sword at her side. The side of Nettle's dress ripped open as the sword sliced her flesh, and she fell to the ground, dizzy and dazed. Merry gave a shout and jumped on the orc's back. Moments later the orc was dead and he was at Nettle's side, cradling her in his arms and pressing the fabric of his shirt over the wound in an attempt to stop the blood flow.

---

Saruman emerged from the trees and gazed at the destruction his army had brought upon the Shire. He smiled to himself, before calling his faithful followers back into the safety of the trees. The day's work was finished. The hobbits would not be able to last much longer. All good things came to those who were able to wait. Patience was Saruman's ally in this case, and he had hope that the last day of battle was upon them.

'Soon,' he thought, 'very soon the Shire will be mine.'

---

After a long silence of hobbits searching the grounds for any loved ones who had fallen in battle, there was an ear-piercing scream that shattered the serenity. Sam, who was closest to Daffodil, ran over to her and hugged her because he didn't know what else to do. Tears blurred his vision and he covered his face with his hands and wept bitterly.

Daffodil's father was dead.

And Sam...

Sam was finally broken.

Author's Note: Sorry it took so long to get this out, and sorry if it seems a bit choppy in places. After I'm finished this book will be edited, I swear. I will accept any criticism you have for me. I would like also to thank all my devoted readers ( you know who you are).You make my day, everyday.