Chapter 8

Okay, I had a blast writing this chapter! I really hope you enjoy, I certainly did. As always, please comment on what you liked or any suggestions you have.

Enjoy! "You don't see us, and so we are everywhere. And we will rise up, Red as the Dawn."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mare

Today's the day we depart from Rift, to travel to Archeon. I walked at a dreadfully slow pace, towards the plane we're flying in. It's a Blackrun, like the one we used to have, but possibly a tad larger. Looking at the plane brings back memories, terrible memories, hence the dreadfully slow pace.

I refuse to let anyone die on this mission. I tell myself this isn't deja vu of Corros prison. This is a much more dangerous mission. But on the bright side, we have more numbers, we have had more training and we've been living in much better conditions.

After eternity, I've finally gotten to the steps of the aircraft, taking my place near the back, next to the window. I'm going back to the lion's den, the place I swore I would never go back to. If Maven finds out about my plan, or if he already knows, I don't want to know what will happen. I can assume he'll execute Ella immediately, maybe kill some innocent reds, and set a room or two of Whitefire on fire.

I feel like a selfish person for even suggesting my idea. I should have put on the dress and mask and faced Maven like a hero. But now I feel like the coward, who's trying to take the easy route out. But yet I cannot call off the plan, telling myself this is strategically correct. But deep down, I don't care about strategy. I refuse to go back to the wretched king's cage, I'd choose death over spending another second with that thing that the queen turned him into.

I gaze out the window, forgetting to blink, staring out at the gigantic palace many call an estate. Hopefully, I'll see it again.

I continue to stare, as the plane begins to move, gradually gaining momentum. After a while, I decide to blink, not opening my eyes, as I fall into the first dreamless sleep I've had in months.

*****

I awake to a gently tap on my shoulders. I turn my head to find Kilorn hovering over me.

"We're here," he said softly, apparently more somber than I was about being back.

"Thank you," I said, getting up from my seat, and exciting the aircraft. Slick, black vehicles lied in front of us. They reminded me of the vehicles Maven and his entourage had driven in, on our way to the Lakelands. But these vehicles, cars Kilorn told me they were called, were not armored, and looked much more pleasant.

There was a total of fives cars, each able to fit five people. There were about twenty-five of us on the plane, give or take, so car conditions would be spacious enough.

Farley, after putting apparently several minutes of thought into this, assigned us to our cars. I would be riding with Ella and Harrick, so he could change both of our appearances if need be, and Farley and Cal.

I slid into the car, taking in my surroundings. I had never been in a car before my time with the king, and that car did not compare to this one. The car had black leather seats, that could be adjusted to one's leg length and windows that could roll up and down with a press of a button.

I continued to glance around at the car's features as Farley, Ella and Harrick climbed in the back.

"Barrow, take this," Farley said, tossing an overly large sunhat at my head. "and make sure to wear it at an angle so cameras can't see you." I carefully positioned my sunhat, before looking back out the window, at our surroundings. Based on our plan, I'd guess we're tens of miles off the outskirts of the city, based on the fact that we landed in a large field, surrounded by trees.