"So, what was your 'oh so special' assignment?" Ivan asked, plopping down next to Sven, who sat on the edge of the wall, fiddling his fingers and staring out.

"Remember when the scouts came back, yesterday? Well, apparently, they found some sickly kid out there and wanted me to watch him until Commander Arik needed him for questioning."

"But, why you?"

Sven shrugged, leaning back on the palms of his hands.He was confused too. Maybe it was nothing. There didn't have to be a specific reason for anything. But, it wasn't in his job description to guard the sick. He was here to slice titans to pieces. Again, it was most likely a "draw-a-name-from-the-jar" type of gamble and his named just happened to be picked. Luck of the draw.

"A random pick, I suppose. But, there's something weird about that kid. My intuition is nagging me."

Ivan raised his hands, dropping his sandwich. "Your intuition is scary accurate. In fact, you're terrifying in general."

Sven glared at him. "So funny. Speaking of annoying, where's Misha?"

"No idea. Haven't seen her around all morning. But dude, that must've been awkward; seeing another guy naked, bent over the window sill...ouch." Ivan laughed.

Sven shuddered just thinking about it. "Gee, thanks for the friendly reminder."

He really didn't want to think about that image BUT, he didn't seem to have any other choice. His mind kept bouncing that imagery around in his memory. The way his back curved at his slender hips, the almost translucent skin, and that small, boney arse seemed to stay stamped in his brain. It's not like he has a self-declared sexuality. It's not apart his identity at all. It's not that he's annoyed about. He's annoyed with himself, rather. He never cared for any type of relationship. At all. His main focus was on exterminating the giant parasites that seemed to always haunt the last of humanity. He didn't even have time, even if he gave a shit about anyone enough. 

"He's too ignorant and clumsy anyways." His gut was tightening and his intuition seemed to be screaming at him. It was being unusually obscure. Why, though?

"Yeah," Ivan stuck his lip out in a pout. "My fucking sandwich is down there." He pointed down to the ground 50 meters below on the titan side of Maria.

"Dumbass." Sven snickered.

"Hey, haven't you noticed the lack of titan activity? There's still a hole in the wall but, why are there no titans coming through?" Ivan pointed from his sandwich to the gaping hole directly below.

"Hmm, now that you mention it, yeah I've noticed. We haven't been called out nor have there been any sirens. Odd. Then again, these last 13 years haven't exactly been normal. Something's brewing behind the scenes, I know that much at least."

Could it have to do with that runt? But, how and why?  Something is wrong here.

"As much as I'd love to enjoy this peace and quiet," Ivan stood up, dusting crumbs off. "I'm going to help with blocking the hole. There isn't a lot to do right now so I might as well make myself useful."

"Alright. Enjoy that, tough guy." Sven tossed his finger tips back in a poor attempt at a wave, not caring to watch Ivan retreat away. 

Sven climbed to his feet. He had to figure out who this kid was. He had a hunch there was something big getting ready to begin but what more could there be? Not titan shifters again was it? More traitors? What could it possibly be?

One way or the other, he was ready to pull the blades out and slice and dice if it came to that.