trapped

The goodie two-shoes called school prison and everyone else called it a hellhole. Either way, nobody genuinely liked school.

Except for Tommy Hall, but he always seemed to be the exception.

I had only known this kid since middle school, and he had never been a part of my life—let alone a central part of my life—until recently.

Ever since the day Tommy stood up in front of our English class and gave a ten minute informative speech about high fives, he's been my close friend. Strange but true, and each time since that occurrence, we would high five when we saw each other.

"High fives are also a form of body language," he proclaimed, "like you could totally get friend zoned with a high five. You'd know about that, right Adrian?" Everyone looked to Adrian—Tommy's friend—who had been nervously asked to homecoming by some girl in the back of the biology class, and then in the period between the homecoming proposal and actual homecoming itself, she stood him up. When Adrian cracked a smile, we all did too. "Or maybe a high five signifies the start of a bromance. Ainsley? You're a girl but hit me up with that bro-five?"

The fact of the matter is that I didn't even hesitate.

And while I was trapped in a hellhole, I felt beautiful because I was laughing—and having a ridiculous amount of fun—with my new friend.