Chapter 13: "Gone"

The coffee in the mug was creating circles of effervescence. Elena stared at the hot drink in her hand and sighed. The party was dismissed the moment the police arrived. And she blamed herself for getting drunk and causing her birthday celebration to sink into failure.

Jane drove her back to the dorm after Justin and Todd were taken to the station. Britney was sleeping in her bed, and the next morning she wasn’t there. She probably went to her classes, Elena thought. If only she knew Justin was flirting with half the girls in that damn party, she’d dump his ass in a second.

Elena took a shower, changed into casual clothing, and there she was sitting on her bed brooding about Justin again.

Her phone buzzed at the bedside table.

Good morning. Is this Miss Elena Henry?” A stranger’s voice spoke through the speaker.

Yes. Who is this?

This is St. Patrick hospital. Are you related to Ryan Butler?

Her heart dropped.

Why? Is he okay?” She sprinted to her feet, brought her keys and immediately walked out the door.

I'm afraid I have to say, Mr. Butler got into an accident last night, and the last number he had dialed was yours.

Which room is he in?!” Panicked, Elena locked the door behind her and ran to her car down the building.

Pushing through the crowded exit door, she spotted her car, and got in. If Ryan was in a critical condition, she would never forgive herself. She was too hammered last night to answer her phone. He probably got into the accident because of her.

It’s all my fault.

She put the car into drive, and speeded out the parking lot.

The road seemed endless and somehow, the traffic was getting more suffocating. Her phone buzzed again, and this time she hoped it would be Ryan. When she checked the screen, it showed Jane’s ID.

What?” Elena spoke while speeding to cross a slow car.

You heard?” Jane sounded calm but concerned.

I’m on my way.

What are you going to do?

I can’t do any of this anymore.” And she meant it. She couldn’t deal with Justin, Ryan or Jane.

Do you love Ryan?” Jane suddenly asked.

Does she? No she doesn’t. If she loves him she wouldn’t have cheated on him with Justin. If she loved him, she wouldn’t have her stomach only flutter when she spots the blond brownish hair with the brown eyes head towards her. Ryan was nice, and he was everything a girl needed in a boyfriend. He cared for her but it wasn’t enough. It was as if there was one person on earth that could make her wake up at 4 am to comfort him, or cover up for his mistakes, or even be proud to call a boyfriend, it would be Justin.

Too bad he doesn’t care.

Too bad he hurt her to a point she felt numb to his words.

Elena…” Jane broke the silence. “He was drunk… That’s why he got into the accident.

What are you talking about? Ryan doesn’t drink.

He never drank. Even in parties, he’d keep the bottle of water in his hands, because alcohol has been a big part of the messed up life he had.