Chapter 17: Chasing The Tide

Moana had never felt so horrible in her life. Montuni was sunny, the sky a vibrant blue; not a single cloud broke its surface. In the distance, the ocean gently lapped at golden sands. Moana herself was sitting in the cliffs along the North Beach, staring longingly out at the horizon with sad, grief stricken eyes. It was the day Tui had hoped to see before he died, and the day Sina imagined for her little girl since she was born. For Moana, it was simply her wedding day. 'The weather mocks me,' the young chief thought bitterly, kicking her feet back and forth against the marble jetty's of stone where she sat, 'it should be raging out here'

But it wasn't. In fact, it was seemingly the perfect day for a wedding. It had only been a week since Moana returned, and Aisake didn't hesitate to ask for her hand the minute he was revived from the Star Fever. Moana, as she promised herself (with Ocean as her witness), said yes. And so it seemed the very island of Montuni was celebrating. The flowers were in bloom, sending wonderful scents into the air, and everything was lush and soft and bright. The sun wasn't too hot, and in the village, everyone was preparing for the ceremony at the community fale. Moana was sure to keep Hei-Hei away from the cooks hut, as delectable food smells wafted past her nose and the sound of yelling men reached her ears. Meanwhile, women and children decorated the village in flowers and vines, all singing happily. Everyone seemed merry, except of course, for the bride. As it was the Mother of the brides job to deck out her daughter, Moana was ready for the ceremony thanks to Sina. Her lavalava was blue and looked like the ocean, and lines of seashells were slung over her neck and woven into her clothing. On her head was her tribal headdress, sprouting the dark feathers of the island wild quail birds, and sparkling opalescence gems from the tide pools towards the south. But no amount of color or jewelry could hide Moana's deep sorrow.

One week had passed, and Maui, Demigod of the Wind and Sea had yet to make an appearance. It was a low blow, really. Moana half wondered if Maui would come chasing after her, asking why she left without telling him, or simply dropping down onto his knees and pleading for her to return. But there was none of that. It had been one week, and Montuni had been peaceful. Moana felt her heart twist painfully at this thought, 'maybe I was wrong to put my faith in someone like Maui,' Moana questioned herself, over and over again, 'maybe I truly did mean nothing to him,'

Moana debated the first few days of being home whether or not her feelings for Maui were true. And though she felt strong kinship towards her future husband, as well as massive amounts of respect...he wasn't Maui. Moana groaned and dragged a tired hand down her face, looking back at her island where the evening fires were already smoking, 'they are counting on me as chief now,' Moana thought, turning back to where the ocean crashed against the cliffs below her feet, 'I've been gone too long,'

But Moana couldn't move from her spot. She was anchored there, stuck (just like before) in a place between her village and the sea. But what was the point of living an immortal life, when your immortal guardian didn't even feel for you. At least, as a mortal, Moana would grow old with her people, and then, die with her people. She wouldn't have to wait and watch all her love ones die around her, while she remained the same. Moana didn't want to live the horrors of watching generations upon generations of Montuni bloom and wither like the summer flowers. It was just too hard, 'a lot of stuff seems too hard these days.' Moana dryly chuckled at the thought, looking out at the horizon again. She saw nothing but the glittering diamonds of appearing stars there, the stars which Rehua had diligently replaced (as he had promised). Sighing heavily once more, Moana stood on the stones. Closing her eyes, she let the salty breeze toss loose pieces of her hair about her ears, and softly sweep against her skin. This would be her last night alone; just her and the ocean. Because once sun set, she would be married to Aisake. He was a diligent worker and would no doubt make a good husband. He would be loyal, and would never leave her...not like Maui. Moana's heart clenched again. 'Why do my thoughts always drift back to him? He's not coming back. At least...he's not coming back because he loves me,' Turning her back to the ocean and looking upon Montuni, Moana began to step off the cliffs. Reaching the dirt path leading back to the village though, the young wayfinder couldn't help but look over her shoulder. She expected to see a giant hawk on the horizon, flying towards her with love in his great eyes. But there was nothing. Only the place where the sky met the sea, and the twinkling of dim starlight. Biting her lip to keep back the tears, Moana inhaled shakily and turned fully. She couldn't be sad tonight. After all, she was getting married.