Breakfast and hope

Adam's POV

Amy seems different sleeping tonight. There is a light glow around her, she seems more relaxed too, other nights she would occasionally frown or tense but not tonight. Like every morning she starts to stir and she stretches.

"Morning baby." I say and kiss her hand that almost hits me. She smiles and rubs her eyes.

"Morning." She says and opens her beautiful doe eyes to look at me.

"How do you look so good all the time?" I ask.

"Ha, I probably look like a panda. But how do you look so good with little sleep?" she asks. I smile and push her hair back.

"Practice." I say quietly. My eyes fixate on her face, as if it puts me in a daze.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" she asks.

"Like what?" I ask as I snap out of it.

"You were just staring at me, I thought you were having a stroke." She says. I laughs and sit up properly.

"Do you want to go get breakfast?" I ask.

"Sure." She says and we start to get ready, she has clothes in my wardrobe since she is over here so much and I have some at hers. It's nice, at least for me, I always have her here in a way.

Amy comes out of the bathroom looking like a model, I kiss her and get ready as fast as possible. I towel dry my hair and just put on casual clothes but I make sure to put on my watch, I know its waterproof but I don't want to risk it.

"Ready?" I ask and Amy nods as she finishes putting lip balm on. I kiss her and rub my lips together. She laughs and we walk hand in hand to my car and I drive her to a breakfast house.

I loved this place since I was young, my parents used to take me here very Saturday morning until one Saturday when they said they were getting a divorce. I've not been here for a while.

"Adam tuner, where have you been?" I hear as I walk in with Amy.

"Betty? You still work here?" I ask as Betty, the owner, walks over.

"I'm not that old young man, anyway my job is front of house its Bob's job to do the books." She says and hugs me. "So, who is this beautiful girl?" she asks.

"Betty, this is Amy, my girlfriend. Amy, this is Betty, owner and old friend." I say and Betty hugs Amy.

"I'm surprised you could find someone to tolerate you, and I still remember the day you said you'd marry me because I make the best scrambled eggs." She says I smile and I feel my cheeks heat up a bit.

"I was five Betty." I say.

"And I was only thirty five. Anyway I'll get your favourite booth ready. Two ticks." She says and scurries off. I smile and shake my head, she hasn't changed.

"She's welcoming." Amy says.

"Yeah, you can say that again. Don't worry you will get used to it." I say and Betty waves us over. We sit down and Betty takes out her little notebook.

"So, what are you lovebirds getting?" she asks. Amy and I chuckle a bit, I order my usual and Amy orders eggs benedict and a vanilla milkshake.

"So, how long have you been going here?" Amy asks.

"Every Saturday morning of my life until my parents split, after that I waited until I had money to come whenever I could." I say as our milkshakes arrive. We start sipping.

"Well, it's really nice here, homely." She says.

"Yeah, Daniel likes it too." I say.

"When does he have to be picked up?" Amy asks.

"Around one." I say and Amy nods.

"So, how long have you been looking after Daniel now?" she asks.

"Well, ever since he moved in really but I've been the only person looking after him for over a year, when his parents started their long three year world trip." I say and roll my eyes.

"Well, you seem happy." Amy says.

"Yeah, we are, but it just kind of sucks we both don't get normality. I've basically been a parent for four years and he hasn't seen or has spoken to his parents in over a year." I say.

"Don't they get in touch?" she asks.

"They're too busy, the only way I know that their alive is the money they send to make sure we can live." I say, I can tell what I'm saying is making Amy sad. I hold her hand. "But I'm glad, we are both way happier this way." I say. Amy nods.

"Don't be making this beautiful girl sad. It's bad for business." Betty says and puts down the plates.

"Yes Betty." I say. She smiles and stands with pride.

"Enjoy." She says and walks off. We start eating and Amy lets out a quiet moan.

"This is the best breakfast ever." He mumbles. I laugh and we eat quietly. Our knives scrape every last bit off our plates and we lay back in the booth absolutely stuffed.

"Officially best breakfast of my life." She says.

"Agreed." I say and Betty comes back and collects the empty plates and milkshake glasses.

"How much?" I ask as I get my wallet from my back pocket.

"Free, I know it was your birthday yesterday." She says. I open my mouth to decline but she just walks away. I roll my eyes and as I hug her goodbye I slip money in her pouch thing and walk out.

"Well, that was amazing." Amy says.

"It was." I agree as we get in the car. "Now we can do whatever." I add Amy shrugs and puts on the radio and we start singing.

Amy's POV

We watch a movie and pick up Daniel. The next two weeks go similarly. Some mornings the three of us would go for breakfast, sing in the car and be lazy. Adam and I keep growing closer. I learn the story of how he came to look after Daniel, and the reason he hates the dark, he knows literally everything about my past too. Being near him is the best feeling. I hope it never ends.

On Monday, Adam and I drop Daniel off at school and we start driving back to mine. I feel a buzz come from my phone in my pocket so I check it. I have an e-mail from school.

"Adam?" I ask as I read it.

"Yeah?" he asks suspiciously.

"The talent show, I just got an e-mail from school. Tomorrow is rehearsal and then the next night is the actual thing." I say and I feel the blood drain from my face. I feel Adam's hand on my knee and I concentrate on it to calm myself.

"You'll be fine baby." He says and I nod. "Now I wish I never made you do It." he adds.

"I don't" I say.

"What?" he asks.

"I need to get over this fear." I say and I feel a rush of determination.

"You can do it baby." He says and laces his hand with mine.

"You'll be there right?" I ask.

"I wouldn't miss it for the world." He says. At home we make biscuits to calm me and in case the worst happens tomorrow.

Adam's POV

She doesn't stop moving while she sleeps. She must really be nervous. I play with her hair with one hand and she seems to calm a little. She holds my other hand and stops moving. I smile. I guess I calm her down, but if it wasn't for me she wouldn't be like this. Hopefully everything will turn out fine.

Hopefully.