Chapter 9

The following afternoon, Rory, Jess and Lorelai go to meet Christopher for lunch. Lorelai had offered to sit this one out but Rory insisted.

Christopher is sitting at a table and is shocked to see his ex-wife joining them for lunch. "Lor." He goes to hug Lorelai and pulls out a chair for her then turns to Rory.

"Wow you look beautiful." He kisses her on the cheek. "And you must be Jess." He shakes Jess's hand.

"Hi dad." Rory says. Jess pulls out a chair for her as they sit.

The waiter comes by to take their drink orders and pass out the menus.

"Wow, so how far along are you, Rory?" Chris asks.

"Almost 33 weeks."

"Wow." Chris then turns his attention to Jess. "So I'm assuming you're the father?"

"No, dad. Logan is." Rory answers.

"Logan? Yale Logan?"

"Yeah. He's in London." Rory explains.

Chris exchanges looks with Lorelai, then back at Rory. It suddenly dawns on him the purpose of her meeting him at his job.

"So you were thinking of raising this baby as a single mother, huh? That's why you were asking me about you and your mom last year."

"Dad-" Rory starts, but is interrupted by the waiter ready for their order.

When they finish ordering, Rory tries to explain to Christopher everything.

"I didn't know for sure that I was pregnant. I had a feeling. I did come to your office because I plan on writing a book. I have already finished five chapters. But yes. Our conversation led me to think I could be a single mom and I'll be ok."

"Is Logan still going to be a part of the baby's life?" Christopher's eyes stare at Jess when he asks this question.

"I would never deny Logan access to the baby." Rory answers.

"If you or the baby need anything, I can help." Chris offers.

"Thanks, dad."

Just then, the waiter comes back with their food.

"So Jess, what do you do?" Christopher asks.

"I co own a publishing house."

"He's also an author," Rory adds. "He's written five books."

"Wow. So what are your intentions with my daughter?" Chris asks. Rory and Lorelai start to choke on their food a little.

"Um, Christopher. What is this? The Spanish Inquisition?" Lorelai teases.

"I am allowed to ask. I'm her father." Christopher laughs.

Jess puts down his fork, puts his arm on the back of Rory's chair and looks at Christopher seriously. "My intention is to stay with Rory. At least for as long as she wants me."

"And you're willing to provide for her and the baby?"

"Dad, I work. And Logan will be paying child support." Rory interrupts.

"It's okay, Rory." Jess grabs hold of Rory's hand then looks at Christopher. "I think Rory can take care of herself and the baby. But yes. I am willing to provide for anything her and the baby needs."

"Ok, Chris. Are you done with this interrogation or should we tie him up on a chair, put a cloth over his mouth and start pouring water on his head intermittently just to make sure he's telling the truth?" Lorelai asks.

"I'm done." Christopher continues with his meal.

The rest of the meal was peaceful. Rory broke the news that the baby is a boy. Christopher couldn't help but feel a little disappointed he is not going to be part of the baby's name. But also understands why Rory chose those two names for the baby.

"How's Gigi?" Lorelai asks Chris.

"Gigi?" Jess raises an eyebrow to Rory.

"My half sister. She lives in Paris with her mom."

"Gigi is a typical 15 year old. A rebellious teenager. But she's enjoying Paris. Sherry keeps asking me is it my turn yet?" Christopher laughs.

When they are done, Christopher pays for the meal and leads them out the door. Jess goes to get the car while Rory and Lorelai stay behind to talk to Chris.

"Thanks for lunch, dad." Rory hugs him.

"Anytime, kid. Don't be a stranger."

Lorelai gives Christopher a kiss on the cheek. "We made a great kid, Lor."

"Yup, we did. Where's your car?" Lorelai asks.

"My bike is around the corner."

"Bike?" Rory asks curiously.

"2016 Kawasaki Vulcan." Christopher beams in pride.

"Just drive safe, Christopher. You're going to be a grandfather. Don't be all Evel Knievel." Lorelai chastises.

Just then, Jess drives up to pick up Rory and Lorelai. "Bye, dad." as Chris helps her in the car.

"Lor, call me if you need anything."

"I will."

*****

Later, Jess drops off Lorelai and Rory at home. He has to go in the office to prepare for an artist's showcase at Truncheon Books.

Rory and Lorelai enter the home and put their things away. Rory goes to sit on the couch and put her feet up while Lorelai gets them something to drink.

When Lorelai sits to join her, Rory thinks of something.

"Wow, dad and Sherry have a similar situation as me and Logan."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, Sherry and dad live in two different continents. They have an ocean between them. They share custody of Gigi. Exchange every other school year. I mean is that going to be how Logan and I will be?"

"You and Logan are different. You might arrange custody differently."

"There are times when I think it would be easier if I chose Logan." Rory confesses.

"Why?"

"Because Richard is his son. We wouldn't have to worry about custody or who's in the room or Odette and Jess." Rory says.

"True. I'm going to ask you something that someone else asked me. If Jess or Richard wasn't in the picture, would Logan still be the one?" Lorelai asks.

"I don't know." Rory says. "I mean, maybe. But also I am happy right now. I can't imagine a different outcome."

"You and Logan have to talk about custody and visitation rights. Obviously you wouldn't have to do that until the baby is a little older. But it's a conversation you guys need to have. I also suggest talking with Odette. She's going to be a part of Richard's life."

"I keep forgetting about Odette." Rory admits.

"Well, whether before Richard is born or after, you need to talk to her."

Rory nods. "Another thing to put on the list." She thought.