chapter one

That 70's: Part One

"In the lilt of Irish laughter
You can hear the angels sing."

Point Place, WisconsinMay 17, 19768:47 p

May 17, 1976
8:47 p.m.
Location: Eric Forman's Basement

Emily was leant forward, her forehead almost touching Eric's knee from her position between Hyde's legs.

"Eric, it is time."

"Why doesn't Emily do it? Her dad owns the pub, he gives her free drinks!" Eric frowned as the Irish girl laughed merrily at his statement.

"Yeah, I get free drinks when the pub's closed for the night and only he and Finn are there to see. Nah, Da won't give me anything. Besides it's your place, man.

"It's your house." Hyde agreed, Kelso leaning into his friend.

"Your house." Hyde pointed towards the ceiling of the basement.

"Listen to them up there! The party has reached critical mass. In ten minutes, there will be no. More. Beer opportunities!" Kelso shook his head behind Hyde to reaffirm his statement.

"If my dad catches me coping beers, he'll kill me!" Emily slapped her hand on to Eric's knee.

"I'm sure we all agree that that's a risk we're willing to take." Kelso waved his hand to his friend.

"Don't worry about it! Just remain calm, keep moving," Donna leant forward.

"And above all, don't get sucked into my dad's hair." They all looked at her confused.

"What's wrong with your dad's hair?" She leaned back.

"Just don't look at it."

Hyde stood and clutched at his friend's face.

"And Eric. Cold. Definitely cold." Eric gave him a nod and scampered up the stairs to the party as Hyde sat back down.

Emily watched him until he had disappeared completely.

"Likelihood of his survival?" She asked as Hyde pulled out a magazine from between the sofa's cushions.

"None."
"Barely."
"Meh."

The three responded simultaneously. Emily sighed shaking out her light brown hair.

"Why do we always send Eric on the suicide missions?" Hyde behind her as she stood and perched on the arm beside his seat.

"Because what else do we need him for?" He laughed as she swatted at his arm indignantly.

Hyde twisted the magazine around to get a better look at some of the pages as Kelso played air guitar beside him.