Chapter 3

Before heading back to Raidyn's room I decide to catch up with Astrid, whom come to find out is not in her room. I know since her arrival she's been spending a lot of her time in the library. Fridrik who is roomed next to Astrid open the door and greets me.

"Queen Byrd," Fridrik smiles. "Astrid is at the library right now."

"Fridrik," I bow to him. "Actually, I wanted to talk to you about something." He opens his door wider for me to enter.

"What is it?" He grins at me. He stands up straight and holds his hands behind his back.

"You remember that little girl, Zora. Right?" I ask him.

"Of course I remember Zora," his face lights up. "My wife and I took quite a liking to her."

"I was wondering if you'd like to adopt her."

His smile fades only slightly. "Adopt her," he restates. "I mean I would have to talk to my wife about it, but I think so far it sounds like a splendid idea, queen." He nods his head. "You realize we would have to take her to the Western Kingdom."

"I realize," I smile at him. "I'll miss her, but I want her to have a family."

"Thank you," Fridrik bows. "I will talk to my wife tonight and give you my answer before we leave."

"Sounds like a plan," I curtsy as I make my way toward the door. "Have a good night, sir." I close the door heading back into the corridor.

I glance at the paintings hung up in the hallway, most of them probably Raidyn's ancestors. I never came across photos of Milo, Daphne, and Raven. I have always curious to know what they looked like, but never asked Raidyn to see any photos of them.

I open the double doors to the library where I can automatically hear muffled giggling, Astrid. I make my way through the maze of bookshelves as I come across the table Duck is always sitting at.

"I thought I'd find you two here." I smile. "May I sit?"

"Of course, Queen." Duck holds his hand out to the chair in front of him.

I gladly take the seat and look to my right where Astrid is smiling back at me.

"How have you been enjoying the married life?" Astrid smirks. "I haven't seen you around the castle much the past couple of days."

I chuckle lowly. "Yeah, Raidyn and I have just been...enjoying each other's company." I look away from her and sigh. "I didn't realize all the responsibility I'm taking on. It's kind of stressful to think about, how did you just assume the duty?"

"I became a queen at Valdus's side. I really had no choice in that matter and I do not have much of a choice now, but I love it. This was what I was meant for since birth, even if I was supposed to be married off to some king."

I run my hands through my hair. "I'm trying to love it, I just never had much responsibility in my life. I'm not like you and Elianna, meant for the throne." I shrug my shoulders.

"Are you meant to be alongside Raidyn?" Astrid raises an eyebrow and leans in to the table.

"Yes," I sigh. "But what if I do such a terrible job that he kills me and wives another?"

Duck raises his eyebrows. "Kill you?"

Astrid chuckles. "I'm sure he won't be doing any of that. If you are meant to be with Raidyn, then you are meant to rule. He is a king and will always be one. You will just have to adjust to the queenly lifestyle."

"You're right I shouldn't worry so much." I shake my head. "Elianna just had me thinking..." my voice trails. "Just of things I shouldn't and such."