Chapter 20

Raidyn

The castle gates never seemed as far away as I watch the royal carriage approach it from the castle doors. An entire week went by with Byrd gone from my side and I can't put into words how glad I am to have her back at home with me.

Cynric and Arleigh have been driving me mad and I swear I haven't gotten a moment of peace since the walking headaches came into my life. I knew that in-laws could be bad no matter what position you have in life, but these two brought bad to a whole new level.

"And you're sure this is Luscinia's carriage and not another one of your tricks to keep us occupied?" Queen Arleigh squawks in that annoying tone of hers. In her defense, I have been playing tricks on them all week-I never pulled a fake arrival though.

"Yes, I'm sure." I sigh and rub at my forehead as the sun beats down on all of us for the first time in a week. I never will understand how someone so perfect and wonderful as Byrd was created by someone as horrible as these people are.

"I don't think that's her." Cynric squints his eyes.

"Well it is." I roll my eyes. I no longer had the patience for these two. I truly can't believe she left me here alone with them. I would hate her if I didn't miss her so much.

"We can plan a whole day together with her." Arleigh grabs Cynric's arm.

I ignore the comment as the carriage approaches and I push the guards away to give my wife and queen my personal hand and help stepping out of the carriage. "I've missed you so much." I say to her as soon as I see her smiling face. "You have no idea."

She grabs my hand and steps down standing in front of me smiling. "I think I do, my king."

"You don't." I say quickly getting a couple more words in before her annoying and overbearing parents bombard her, stealing all the attention.

"You look absolutely radiant, my dear!" Arleigh smiles grabbing Byrd's face with one hand, squishing her cheeks together.

Byrd's head jerks back trying to get out of her mother's grasp. "Thank you, mother. Please let go of me."

Aleigh let's go. "Of course dear." She puts on a smile I very well know is fake.

"We have so much catching up to do! We've barely seen you." Cynric joins in.

"It seems we do." Byrd says with gritted teeth.

"Aren't you tired from your travels?" I ask cutting in, in attempt to save her. These people were relentless.

She looks at me catching on. "Yes, yes I am absolutely exhausted."

"If you're exhausted then it seems like we will have to spend some more time with him." Arleigh says to Byrd and looks over at me as if I was a piece of meat.

"Actually, I would like to spend time alone with my husband." Byrd gives her mother a dirty look.

"I thought you said you were tired?" Cynric raises an eyebrow and gangs up on her, in agreement with his wife.

"Well I am." She stammers. "But I like when Raidyn is in the room while I sleep. I have nightmares."

"Nightmares of what? Why have you never told us of this Luscinia?" Arleigh badgers.

"Of you mother!" Byrd snaps.

I smile weakly and awkwardly at both of them. "Let's get you to your room, my queen." I say as I hurriedly rush her to the castle doors and away from the two of them while they're in temporary shock and heartbreak.