One

My recalling of the incident is hazy, but this is how it went.

I traced my eyes across the room with curiousity. The restaurant was full. I looked around at the busy tables. An old couple eating side by side, one glass of wine each, studiously bent over their meals. A group of young women in their thirties collapsing with helpless giggles as a stern woman dining alone nearby looked on and frowned. Businessmen in their grey suits lighting up cigars. Foreign tourists, trying to decipher the menu. A family and their teenagers. I ogled at the large mullioned windows lining the walls, slightly covered by the long, draping embroidered curtains, dark walnut tables, delicate live piano music and flagstone tile floor. Often I would come here and write, silly isn't it, to write at such a crowded place, but it gave me that small spark that ignited my imagination.

I sat at a sienna brown coffee table with splendidly proportioned capriole legs. But before I could pull out my notebook from my handbag, I noticed two blatantly drunk guys sitting by the bar, on silver stools, sneaking glances at my table.
Abruptly, a waiter handed me a single napkin, snatching me from that realisation.
I flipped it over to see the letters RUN,
"Go," the waiter muttered in an urgent tone.
I inhaled a sharp breath and lunged from my seat, my smile congealed then melted into horror. I began running outside at the fastest pace I could, only hearing the faint jingle of the door behind me .
I covered the uneven paving stones with a great galloping gait, eyes focusing on the great dewy fields of kansas.

And then, him. I had no clue of his identity, I fell into a warm embrace, while running, my mind only set on one thing: escape. And now my fate, wrapped me in a warm swaddle. I didn't want to leave. It felt as if when I was in his arms all my pain went away - mental and physical, mostly the depressing pain. If I could only stay in his arms forever, safe from the world's harmful people. The world around me melted away as I squeezed him back, not wanting the moment to end.

'Click' The strings of fate echoed in my ears as he lifted his face and I lifted mine. And oh my was he mine.