Journey

It had slept for almost twenty four hours inside of the ship. It was equipped with a bed, which I took to while Riddick drove the ship. His face was hard and strict as he drove, because he was trying to pay careful attention to the radar the ship came with. I guessed it was a merc ship, but then there was only one bed and one bathroom; plus it was very small. It was like we were destined to leave on this ship, because it was the perfect size for us.

            I was lying in bed chewing on some jerky and watched the back of Riddick’s head. I couldn’t get rid of the smile on my face. I had taken a shower and gotten rid of all of the blood, I had a full belly of jerky, and I was completely rested and comfortable. After swallowing the last piece in the bag I had grabbed, I stood up and casually walked over to where Riddick was driving.

            I hadn’t said much to him since we had gotten on the ship, but then I had slept practically the whole time too. “Hey…” I said and reached my hand forward as if I was going to place my hand on his shoulder. I stopped inches from his bare shoulder and retracted back. “Where are we going?” I wrapped my arms around myself and took a breath in.

            “Gardena,” he said in his normal hard tone. I bit on my top lip and rocked on my heels.

            “Where is that?” I asked.

            He turned in his seat and finally looked at me. “Sleep well?” he asked with the smallest laugh and then turned back toward the stars in front of us.

            “Yeah, but I…didn’t,”

            “It’s a planet far enough and close enough to where we shouldn’t be noticed. I know a guy.” He explained and I nodded. I could see his face in the reflection of the front shield and his eyes darted from me to the stars.

            “Well Mr. Riddick. I have to admit to myself,” I wrapped my arms tighter around me. “I have been wondering if…” I paused, unsure if I really wanted to say what was on my mind. “Well, is Gardena where we part ways?” I stared at him in the reflection. His eyes stayed hard, staring at the stars as if he was ignoring me. My heart beat hard, because I had found that I had become attracted to him. I had started to have feelings for him.

            He took a deep breath in and his hands tightened on the flight sticks. I watched as his jaws clenched together, and I feared that he was trying to gather up the courage to turn me down. It didn’t seem like it was in his nature, to me I felt like turning someone down would be easy for him. “If I’m not mistaken…” he started with a calm voice. “Aren’t you the one that has a reputation for running away?”

            I smiled, though it was true. I had run away from everyone that had ever helped me. I didn’t feel like dragging someone into my mess. With Riddick, however, it was different. He was a criminal too. “I do, but…” I swallowed hard and he turned toward me and looked me up and down. I didn’t want him to reject me. “I just don’t…want to be alone anymore.” I said quietly with a quivering lip.

            He turned back toward the controls and nodded with thin lips. “Ah, the truth comes out.” He smiled, and I couldn’t see his eyes. I couldn’t read what he was thinking. Then again, even when his eyes were visible he wasn’t an open book. I let out a breath and turned around. I didn’t expect him avoiding the question as an answer. “Leenah,” he said my name softly, as if saying wrong would break me. “I don’t want us to part ways.” He said in a little softer tone than he normally did. “I think we could make a pretty good team.” He added and I smiled as I stared at the back of the ship with a smile. I sat back down on the bed.