Chapter 34

"It's cold. But I don't feel cold." I observed, pressing my hand onto the glass of the window. I watched as my breath condensed into a misty patch that slowly disappeared soon afterwards.

Without looking back, I called out, "Mama, why is that so?"

"It's because you're very strong, my little snowflake." She answered with a soft tone, concentrating on her new embroidery piece. Trails of thread clung to her pure white kimono, like snakes that slithered through the folds of her clothes.

"The other kids won't let me play with them." I remarked nonchalantly, aimlessly dragging my finger across the condensation. There, without any particular thought, I drew a group of heads and one head significantly further away.

Again, without looking back, I called out, "Mama, why is that so?"

"It's because they are just a little shy, my sweet snowflake." She responded after a slight pause. She adjusted her sitting position, placing one leg over the other, exposing her pale skin.

"...Mama, no one wants to talk to me." Smudging the drawing I made, I began clawing at the glass hopelessly. Letting my hand fall to my side, I formed a small, trembling fist.

Choking back on the tears, I whispered, "Mama, w-why is that so?"

Almost immediately, she dropped her embroidery and held me in her arms. "My dear snowflake..."

Feeling the warmth of her body surrounding me, I let fat teardrops roll down my cheek as I nuzzled into the crook of her neck in order to hide my cries. There we sat, collapsed onto the ground as she held me in her arms and I cried while she stroked my hair.

.

.

.

"So Mama is magical?" I stared in admiration. "That's so cool!"

"Haha, I guess you could say that." My mother chuckled as she let me sit in her lap.

"Can I do it? Can I be a magical girl like Mama?" I bounced around excitedly, my eyes sparkling in hope.

"Of course, my little snowflake." She answered, squishing my cheeks lovingly. "You're my daughter! But you're not big enough to be strong like Mama!"

"Aw so I can't?" I pouted, hanging my head in disappointment.

"What are you saying, my dear?" My mother grinned, taking in my hand into hers. "You're doing it now. You're small because you're slowing time down. Well, your perception technically, but you're body is typically going to age slower as a result."

"...Eh?"

My mother only smiled, rubbing my head. "Don't worry, I'll teach you more later. But just promise one thing: don't freeze time - we don't have full dominion over the existence of space and time just yet."

"Why not, Mama?" I asked curiously, not listening to half of what she was explaining.

"Um, let's just say you'll bite more than you can chew." My mother nervously chuckled, slighting at awe at the rate of her daughter's understanding. "Freeze time and the time you will pay with the years you banked."

"...Uh?"

"In other words, you'll be even smaller than you are now!" My mother cooed, ticking me as a laughed my head off.

.

.

.

"Ah! Zeno, long time no see!" My mother greeted at the doorway.