Chapter 40

REALLY early in the morning...

Yun was already up and moving about when the sun had just peeped over the horizon. Rubbing his hands and letting a puff of air condense just in front of him, he placed the last bag onto the cart. 

"I think that'll be enough." Yun observed, performing a mixture of dusting off and warming his hands in the cold morning air.

A variety of sacks were stacked upon each other and a myriad of fruits and vegetables decorated around it. After a quick stretch, Yun picked up the cart with both hands and began dragging it away.

"Yun!" The voice of the priest called.

Craning his head back, Yun locked eyes with Ik-Soo. "Where's everyone?"

"Still sleeping." Ik-Soo answered, tucking his hands into his sleeves in fear of the cold. "Are you going?"

Yun looked away, hiding his expression, "Yeah."

"Can't I go?" Ik-Soo asked, shuffling a bit closer, a hint of whinging could be heard.

"No! You stay here!" Yun barked while pointing at the hut, but relaxed back into a soft smile. "I'm this kind of self-satisfying hypocrite after all."

"No." Ik-Soo interrupted, pulling Yun in for a warm embrace. "No, you are a kind boy Yun."

"Am I interrupting something?" A youthful voice cooed from behind.

Both Ik-Soo and Yun turned their heads and settled there eyes on Fubuki. Her small stature of a child, still the same as yesterday. Only her hair was slightly ruffled after tossing and turning at night.

"N-N-NO!" Yun stuttered immediately, his cheeks flushing red. "N-N-Nothing happened!"

"Aw, you're so mean..." Ik-Soo cried jokingly, pathetically reaching closer to Yun for another hug.

"NO YOU STUPID, GOOD-FOR-NOTHING PRIEST!" Yun hissed like a cat, pushing Ik-Soo away pathetically.

Fubuki giggled, before hopping on top of the cart. "Come on, we shouldn't wake the others." 

"Who said you're coming?" Yun condemned, juggling the choice of tipping her off the cart.

"I think a child like me won't be as suspicious, right?" Fubuki grinned mischievously, cutting off Yun and his usual argument.

Yun pinched his nose, before relenting and picking up the cart. "Fine."

Fire Tribe - Katan Village

It was a small dilapidated village, situated on dry and empty land. Nothing, let alone a strip of vegetation could be seen. But in the middle of it all, were its people, including the children who struggled to find fun in their everyday, poverty-ridden lives.

"Oh." One of the children noticed.

"It's Yun." Another identified, not typically excited.

"Yun!" The younger ones with a grin attached to their faces raced forward instead.

"It's been a long time." Yun greeted the villagers, ruffling the children's hair. "How have you been?" 

"Hungry..." A child answered reluctantly.

"Ok, I'll make something warm right away." Yun reassured them, before an idea popped into his head. "Until then, you can play with her."

"Huh?" Fubuki gaped, her head popping into view from behind the cart at the sound of near torture.

"Come on, make some friends!" Yun grinned, lifting her up and pushing her towards the rest of the children. She was surprisingly light for her size.