Getting Settled

We are home at last. Instead of Lizzy putting me back in the box, she reaches for Eight and places her on the shoulder across from mine. I'm glad I don't have to be put back in that scary box.

The door of the car swings open and Lizzy hops out. It's almost as if she's trying to make this ride on her shoulders as smooth and fun as possible for Eight and I. She crams the dark box in a small chrome cylinder. A trash can.

She makes her way behind the car and the trunk pops open with a ding noise. She pulls out another box. God, no I think. I can tell Eight is loathing the thought too. But this box is far bigger than the one I was put in. And it looks like it has some weight to it. And there's a big black tarp. She grabs it by a red rope and hauls it into her home. This is a palace.

Her home is huge. She has one big room with a squishy seat that's very long. A couch. Another room with: a cold rectangular prism that contains food, a refrigerator, and a table with four hard seats that can only fit one girl in each. Then there is a hallway that has a small room that only has coats in it. Across from it is what people call a bathroom. I don't get it, why don't they just poop in their beds like Eight and I. At the end of the hallway there are three rooms. One has a big bed and a small TV, another room with a big cage that should have a dog in it but doesn't and a small bed, and a third room that has toys and trash and another girl everywhere. "Lizzy!" she yelps, "Are those your rats? Can I hold one?"

"Later."

After a while of me and Eight sitting on Lizzy's shoulder, she sets us down on her bed. I realize that Eight needs to be groomed but I'm too curious about what Lizzy is doing. I crawl around until I find the edge of her bed and let myself fall down onto her fuzzy throw blanket. Then Eight crawls over and shoves her head under my chest. No, I tell myself. I push her back and she sits down next to me.

We watch Lizzy pull the tarp away revealing the big box that has words that I don't understand, like,"SUPER PET" and "Double CritterNation". She takes a big box made of wire out and sets it down on the floor after kicking the spare cage over to the side. She's creating our home.

Once Lizzy is finished, there are four floors in all. Two whole levels and two half levels. Each level has different colored towels clipped on. There are several chews, I can't even count all of them. There are treats and toys hanging from every angle. There are two water bottles suspended and three food bowls. There are three hideouts and two hammocks. We will be so happy. I can't wait any longer. Lizzy turns around to put us in our new home. But before she fully turns around I have already hopped off of the bed and sprinted into the most colorful hammock I see. I moved so fast Eight didn't even see me.

When Lizzy turns to see I'm gone she smirks at Eight and asks,"Where did Daisey go, Lily?" It's Nine and Eight, I think. Eight drops down and plops into our cage Lizzy turns around smoothly and her eyes fall on me then move to Eight. She chuckles and closes the doors to our home.