Ivy

The Sun crawls over the horizon and I know it's time to sleep. But I can't sleep. I'm too worried about Lizzy. Earlier about three hours ago, I saw her wake and leave. She woke far earlier than she usually does. I'm scared. I wonder, for a second, if the same thing that happened to Lily is happening to her. It can't be, I tell myself. I calm down and go to my igloo. The last thing I see before I close my eyes, is the sun and the beautiful colors shooting from it.

  I hear Lizzy stomp through the door of her bedroom. Then another pair if footsteps after it. Voices. Her mother.

  "Take good care of Ivy, Lizzy," her mother says.

  "Gotcha!" Lizzy yells.

  "Lizzy calm down," her mother yells back, "You'll scare the god damn thing!"

  I hear the door slam. I crawl out of my igloo and Lizzy's eyes meet mine. She holds a box very similar to the one I was transported in to get here. It can't be. I don't want anyone but Lily.

  "Hi, Daisy" Lizzy squeaks. No. She pulls the flaps opened and a small rat jumps out. She has brown coat with a white band across her back. Her coloring is so different from Lily's. I don't think I can get used to this. Lizzy opens the doors of my cage and the rat runs in. I retreat to my igloo. When I'm comfortable the rat crawls in. I claw at her and shove her out.

  "Don't be mean to Ivy!" Lizzy snaps. I don't acknowledge her. I guess her name is Ivy, though.

  Obviously Lizzy doesn't know much about introducing rats to each other. But Ivy is smart, because she doesn't come near me for the rest of the day.