Prologue

Once upon a time, in the hidden heart of France, a handsome prince lived in a beautiful castle. Although he had everything his heart desired, the prince was selfish and unkind.

"Master, it's time."

He taxed the village to fill his castle with the most beautiful objects-

"Oui, maître."

- and his parties with the most beautiful people.

A young caramel woman, glittering in gold and white stood in the doorway, watching over the festivities that were underway. As she observed, a certain French accented voice entered her ear suddenly, making her jump. "Enjoying the party?", a voice enthusiastically greeting her.
"Lumiere, you know, as many times as you do that, I'll never get used to it." "That doesn't answer my question." "Why do you ask the question when you already have the answer?"
"In that case, how many glasses of wine will you be needing tonight mon cherie?" She chuckled, "None, at least for now. If I start now next thing you know I'll be dancing."
"And what's wrong with that Fantasia? You're the best and most rounded dancer anyone could ever know." She blushes slightly, her darker skin tone disguising it as nothing but a small smile.
"Lumiere, don't you have a job you should be attending to?"
"Ah, yes I do, and a part of that job is making sure everyone has a marvelous time!" And with that, a new couple was added into the dance that was underway.

"Oh, how divine,

Glamour, music, and magic combine,

See the maidens anxious to shine,

Look for a sign that enhances, chances

She'll be his special one-"

They spun through the dance switching partners at the drop of a hat (or watch), never losing sight of one another. Lumiere had on a face of pure joy, while Fantasia wore a face of anxiety, but as she danced, she caught sight of who brought her into the situation she was in, and slowly she gave way to joy.

Suddenly, Fantasia was spun into the arms of the party's host, making her a bit flustered.
"Shouldn't you be watching over the party?", he asked with a questioning brow.

"Well what better way than to do it from the inside?", she returned with a smirk.

"What a display!

What a breathtaking, thrilling array,

Every prince, every dog has it's day,

And I'll sing with passion, gusto, fit to bust

Oh, not a care in the world!"

Once more, Lumiere and Fantasia reunited, and she quickly pulled him off of the ballroom floor onto the sides. She slightly glared at him and he pouted, but they both quickly burst into quiet laughter as to not disturb the other guests.
"See, I told you that it was my job!"

"Yes, of course, it's your job to give a person blazing anxiety in the middle of a group of people, while the song that she composed is playing."

"I'm... I'm sorry."

"Nah, you know I'm just joking with you. Besides, I might actually want to do that again, after a few glasses of wine, of course."

"Well I'll see that I get you just that!" And with that, Lumiere disappeared into the crowd to get her the finest wine on hand.

Then one night, an unexpected intruder arrived to the castle, seeking shelter from the bitter storm. As a gift, she offered the prince a single rose. Repulsed by her haggard appearance, the prince turned the woman away... But she warned him not to be deceived by appearances... for beauty is found within. When he dismissed her again, the old woman's outer appearance melted away to reveal a beautiful Enchantress.

The prince begged for forgiveness, but it was too late, for she had seen that there was no love in his heart.

As punishment, she transformed him into a hideous beast and placed a powerful spell on the castle and all who lived there, especially one.

As days bled into years, the prince and his servants were forgotten by the world, for the Enchantress had erased all memory of them from the minds of the people they loved.

But the rose that the Enchantress had offered truly was an enchanted rose. If he could learn to love another and earn their love in return by the time that the last petal fell, the spell would be broken. If not, the spell would remain for all time.

As the years passed, he fell into despair and lost all hope, for who could ever learn to love a beast?

_
A/N: Make sure to let me know what you think! (Please be nice, this piece of trash is a bit delicate.)