Crash

Lizzie's POV

I walked slowly towards the plane, carry-on in hand. This was my first time going on a plane, and I wasn't excited.

I probably would be if this was a nice family vacation, but it isn't. And to make things worse, I am the only female. That's right, I'm stuck with a huge group of noisy, annoying boys. After my mother died, my father decided to send me off to wherever the hell this plane is taking me, because he can't afford two children. My little sister gets to stay with him. Lucky kid.

I found my seat, and attempted to put my carry-on in the overhead compartment, but failed terribly. I let out a frustrated sigh and set my bag down.

'Need some help there pretty miss?' Asked a voice. I turned and saw a tall muscular boy with a mop of brown hair, and striking facial features. 

'No thank you, and don't call me that!' I snapped. He smirked.

'Nice accent, where are you from?' He asked politely. I was getting quite annoyed by him, but I still answered his question.

'Canada. I'm from Canada.' I told him. He looked at me and smiled.

'Well, you have a lovely accent.' He stated. 'You sure you don't need help?' He asked once again. I sighed.

'Please?' I asked nicely, gesturing to my bag. He picked it up and easily put it in the overhead compartment. I stood in awe. I was strong for a girl, but even I couldn't do that.

'Thanks,' I said a little breathlessly. 'for, uh, helping.' I finished. He smiled at me before politely asking me to move over so he could sit down. He plopped down in the seat right next to mine, and I did a double take before realizing that this was his seat.

'You okay pretty miss?' He asked me. I snapped back into reality and glared at him.

'Yes I am, and stop calling me that.' I snapped.

'Well I can't call you by your name, now can I?' He said, still managing to stay polite. I would have snapped like a twig if I was in his position.

'Lizzie. My names Lizzie.'I stated.

'Hmm, Lizzie. I like that name. I'm Ralph.' He said. His name suited him. It sounded like a more mature name, and he seemed quite mature compared to the rest of these hooligans. Apart from him being quite annoying.

'Are you going to sit down?' He asked. I shook my head yes, and squeezed into the seat next to him. 'Ever been on a plane before?' He questioned.

'No I havent, and I don't plan on having any fun on this ride.' I stated.

'Well, you'll be here for awhile, so you might as well at least talk to me.' He said. I huff and look at him.

'Fine! Why do you wear that weird uniform?' I asked blankly. I really wasn't curious.

'Private school. Why are you wearing... That?' He asked, referring to my lack of a uniform.

'Public school. What's your favourite colour?' I asked. He smiled, knowing full well that he got me to speak to him.

'Blue.' He replied. 'What about you?' He asked.

'Purple all the way!' I smiled. 'Eye colour?' I asked.

'Can't you see? Brown! ' He said, widening his eyes so I could see. I laughed at his facial expression.

'Mine are blue! ' I laughed, widening mine as well. He chuckled and we continued to question each other.

I was suddenly jerked in my seat as the plane shook unexpectedly. 

'Ralphie? Did you feel that?' I asked cautiously.

'Yes, I did. What's going on?' He tried to ask one of the boys, but they were too busy chatting to pay any mind to the boy.

Then another shake came. This time it was much bigger than the last one. Everyone stopped talking. I clutched Ralph's arm in response as an eerie silence overtook the shaking plane. 

'Please return to your seats and secure your seatbelts.' The pilot instructed. That's it? No, 'We're going to be fine'?  We all buckled up and sat quietly. I grasped Ralph's hand tightly and he sent me a reassuring smile.

I looked at the boys around me. There were small children crying, and older ones comforting them. One of the boys caught my eye. He wasn't comforting the little ones, He was telling them to shut up.

I knew that boy. He was one that my father used to talk about all the time. He was big news in our town. He was head boy in the choir, so he was pretty well known.

I studied his facial features. Blue eyes, blonde hair gelled up and out of his eyes, and a distinct look of displeasure written across his face. He was obviously annoyed by the childrens' cries. I was intrigued by how he managed to not scream at the kids, but only command in such a manner, it seemed as if he was a father, telling his kids to stop fighting.

'Don't talk to him, he's bad news.' Ralph spat in displeasure. I looked at him curiously.

'Him?' I asked. I hadn't known his name, as my father was quite bad at remembering them.

'Jack Merridew, He isn't as charming as he looks. I wouldn't talk to him if I were you.' He stated blankly. I wondered why he would say such an absurd thing like that.

'Well oka- ' I was cut off by the plane shaking horrendously. All lights except the red emergency lights shut off and airbags popped out of the ceiling. Ralph helped me pull one over my face and I took a deep breath as panic rose in my chest. I could hear the other boys' panic as the plane descended rapidly. My stomach dropped as if I were on a rollercoaster. 

'The wing! The wing's on fire!' Someone shouted, creating an even bigger panic. Before I could turn my head to look Ralph slammed the window cover shut. 

'It's okay,' He whispered, his eyes clenched shut in fear, his hand shaking in mine. "we're okay." I wish I could have believed him, but the rapid drop in air pressure painfully popped my ears, and I knew we were not going to be okay. 

My chest swelled with fear and my breathing became more rapid as the screams around me became louder and more shrill. The last thing I heard before I fainted was Ralph beside me, fear overtaking him as he shouted out,

"We're going to die!".

*********************

So, I hope you liked this first chapter. I am going partially by the 1990's movie. If you haven't seen it, I recommend watching it because It's very good! I'm also going by what I want to happen, so if you flat  out think I'm going by the movie or the book, I'm not. I'm writing it, so I get to choose what happens. Deal with it.

~Thehoodedintrovert