IV

When I arrived home, there was a car blocking my way into the driveway, so I had to park along the side of the house.

"We have company!" Mom alarmed as I walked in.

I turned my full attention to the kitchen table where a young man was sitting. He turned around, revealing his face;

it was Alexander Williams.

"Um...hi!" I smiled at Alexander and turned to my mom. "Mom, I-I have to go now, I'm so sorry." I looked back at Alexander who was staring at us confused.

"But we have a guest, Hazel." She insisted throwing her hands in the air.

"Can I just talk to you real quick?" I pulled her into the living room. "Why is he here?"

"I asked him to join us for dinner."

"Oh no, no. You cannot try to set me up with him. You can't."

"Hazel..."

"No mom, this is my life, okay? You can't make these kinds of desicions for me."

"I just think you should try to make some friends."

"I have friends. Isaac and Kaitlyn are my friends."

Alexander cleared his throat loud enough for us to hear and know that he had entered the room. "Mrs. Lancaster, I can just leave if there are any problems."

"No." I blurted out. "You-you don't have to go."

I felt almost terrible staring at his perfect grin. But I turned away, I couldn't. I couldn't do this.

"I have plans with Isaac and Kaitlyn. We're getting ready for the last few chances we get to alter anything for the upcoming dance."

"The dance!" Mom exclaimed. "You should see if Alexander might want to join you all."

I nodded in disagreement and she gave me a look.

Alexander spoke up; "It's fine."

"Ugh-" I blurted out.

"Hazel!" mom exclaimed!

"Fine. You know what, Alexander, I would be happy for you to be there. Would you like to come with me now to meet Isaac and Kaitlyn?"

"That sounds like a great idea, Hazel. Thank you."

I rolled my eyes uncontrollably.

"No mom. I didn't actually mean that." I scoffed. "Sorry Alexander, but I have friends that are waiting on me. Feel free to stick around and have dinner with my parents if you'd like, I'm sure they'd love that."

He gave me a look of confusion;

"Did I do something? Like um...is there a reason you so strongly dislike me?" He questioned.

As badly as I wanted to tell him about Gus and just get it out of the way, I knew I couldn't. It wasn't fair to Alexander.

"No. It's nothing, I'm just tired and a little off today, I'm sorry."

He smiled.

"And I was wrong about you, Alexander. You seem to be really easygoing." I replied.

I hurried out of the living room and said goodbye.

A wave of embarrassment swept over me once I left the house.

So much for taking a nap now.

Isaac called within the three minute timeframe that I had left my house.

He and Kaitlyn had decided to meet at CoCo's for frozen yogurt, so I turned around and headed that way.