Mindset

Rylee's POV

Air was leaving my lungs as I sprinted down the forest to get away from them. Everything so dark and out of proportion. My heart was a beat away from exploding, my legs couldn't carry me much longer. Burning tears clouding my eyes. The cuts on my arms and cheek were itching very much with small droplets of blood falling to the seemingly bottomless ground. Leafs under my dirty sneakers making much more sound than necessary.

She is gone. The best woman I've ever known is gone. I could still hear them coming. I decided to hide in a small cave I had found a few days ago with Santiago. How unfair can one life be? I was only seven years old, already going through such tragedies. Desperately trying to even my breath my hands covered my mouth as they came closer. I had covered my body with mud just like the elders in our pack instructed. But even like that I was afraid they would be able to catch my scent.

A few minutes later they kept running while my fragile frame laid on the cold humid ground.

Such cruelty voices whispered inside my head. Such rage. They kept going. It was the start of many more nightmares to come.

I woke up panting, holding tightly to my bedsheets as sweat ran down all over my body. Soaking my shorts and t-shirt. It wasn't a surprise at all. Each night I was reminded of childhood tragedies that marked my life. I ran a trembling finger over the faint scar on my cheek. As years passed it began to fade. A bittersweet thing to happen for sure. It was then that I noticed the tears that had fallen.

It's been quite a while since that happened. A knock on my door made me shift my gaze. A shirtless sleepy Santiago came in.

"Again?" He asked. I just slightly nodded. Sympathy running in those dark eyes of his. He laid on my bed signaling me to put my head on his chest. So I did. Letting him comfort me in nights of despair.

Santiago was my best friend. Ever since we were born practically. He has loved me and cared for me unconditionally like a true brother.

Next day as I put on my uniform, air around me just felt too heavy. My eyes had dark bags under them thanks to the lack of sleep. It was exhausting trying to be myself without crumbling down.

Downstairs was my entire pack. Sharing a large meal. We've all been homeless for a couple of years, this is the closest we've ever had to a home. Even though it was pretty worn out, but with time we will surely make it look like a proper pack house. I didn't eat at all. Just went straight to my jeep in the back of our house.

"Wait up." Santiago came running with a waffle between his teeth as he fixed his tie. I shook my head and opened the door for him.

"Such a gentleman." I rolled my eyes, but smiled nonetheless. The ride to school consisted of soft rock playing in the background. Santiago knew better than to ask things, he always let me explain without having to ask. Something appreciated on my behalf. He was munching his waffle like he used to do when he was a kid.

"Can you hurry up and eat that." I said once we stopped on a red light. He only smiled and shook his head. I knew it was a way of annoying me, but only so he could make me laugh.

"You're gross." I spoke. When we got to school it wasn't much crowded. I don't know why my father insisted on us coming here. Apparently my mother left enough money to give me the best education possible. He was also working hard to keep plates of food in our table. Well all of the older ones were and a few of us also work. That's how I was able to buy my jeep. Though since I moved here, getting a job hasn't been the easiest.

"Did you make the team?" My friend asked beside me.

"You know I did." I smirked he only patted my back. Soccer has been my favorite thing to do ever since I could walk. Working hard to learn what I've learn to date was difficult, it took much work and time to get better. I had only the best coach.