Chapter 9: Things Happen

Valentine Hart

Okay, so today's the first day of the city meet, opening ceremony is done, games are about to start, and I'm freaking out. Today's the schedule for the concert since all the schools agreed that it would best if we'd do it today since some students wouldn't show up or even they would go home if we do it on the last day.

These past few days have been great considering that Joy and I are on good terms now. I can sleep better, I eat more, I can relax but I don't think the rest of the archery team are okay with me. I mean, I get them. I was the new girl, the coach favored me on some aspects, I had a lot of opportunities in the team and I just blew everything up.

"They're not really gonna talk to me, are they?" I said to Joy who as already preparing her gear for the tournament.

"Just give it some time. They're just pissed at how you thoughtlessly threw your chance at becoming a part of the national team, that's all." Maybe she's still mad at me.

"Yeah, really comforting Joy. Thanks a lot."

"I'm just saying, everybody really thinks you have a shot. I mean, you have no idea how good you are, do you?" She continued packing.

"Oh please, I almost got knocked off from the scoreboards during practice." I fell down on my bed.

"That's my point! You're not even on your A-game yet you still managed to maintain a good score. It took me weeks before I even got a spot on the scoreboard and it only took 2 days to knock my name off. YOU, you're name was on the board the moment you got here. They have so much respect for you, I hope you know that."

"Okay, I'm sorry but. . . it's too late now. Coach is still pissed at me and I don't know how I'm gonna gain his and the team's trust. I don't even know how I'm gonna face the crowd knowing the people think I don't deserve the spot."

"What are you talking about? The music department heard you sing already."

"Yeah I know that and I'm grateful that they think I'm good enough for them. They've been actually really friendly nowadays but how about everyone else? Practically the whole school thinks I betrayed you guys." Seriously, I can barely stand hearing people talk about me in the girls' comfort room.

"Ay, just forget about them. What's important right now is you do your thing. Just enjoy it and have fun. It's been a while since you've done that." She brushed a piece of my hair away form my face.

"I haven't even prepared my things yet." I whined. I know I have my own role to play and everybody's been working hard for this but why do I feel so down and lazy?

"Wel, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? They're not exactly gonna wait for you, you know. Enough talking, gather up your stuff, and go." She basically kicked my leg.
.
.
.
.

"Valentine, seriously, get over here! I'm doing your makeup and NO EYEGLASSES during the show. I know you bought a new pair so don't even think about wearing them onstage or you'll end up dumpster diving for them." Our professor said.

"Fine fine." I lifelessly said.
AAH! I'm so afloat right now. I can't think right. Daniel won't respond to my texts, I need someone to talk to. Joy's probably busy by now.

Now I'm just staring at these people around me. They all worked so hard for this. The songs, the dances, the costumes and decorations, everyone had their part. I've been thinking for a while now, and for a moment, I didn't feel torn. Torn with the fact that I have to choose between what my mom loves, and what my dad loves. Now, I smiled at myself after arriving at a conclusion.