Starlight

Ren's POV

I was walking back to the village when Sigurd popped out of basically thin air.

"Sigurd! Were you watching me?"

"No. I was simply taking a walk through the forest. Can I walk with you back to the village?"

I really wanted to tell him to fuck off but I was lonely. I nodded and he began walking next to me.

"Ren, would you ever consider being my wife."

I stopped dead in my tracks. I was baffled. I would never marry him.

"You can't be serious, Sigurd?"

"I am. I think we should marry."

"I think you're mad"

"Oh come on, Ren. You would be marrying a prince of Kattegat!"

"I have eyes for only one prince." Ivar, my love.

"You mean that crippled bastard? Ren, do you hear yourself. He can't give you children, he can't even walk. Why would you ever marry him? He doesn't even want to marry you!"

"Don't speak of Ivar that way. He is more of a man than you will ever be. I know he would marry me. He loves me!"

"He doesn't love you."

I knew that Sigurd was just trying to anger me but it still hurt. I knew Ivar loved me. He had to love me. I didn't know what else to say to Sigurd. I needed him to leave me alone. I was furious with him. I spat in his face and nearly instantly I felt a sharp pain in my cheek. He hit me. I cupped my face where he slapped me.

"You whore! You stupid woman! What's the matter with you!"

I was even more furious now. I took a step closer to him and kicked him in the crotch. He fell to the ground and I marched back to the river.

Ivar was still sitting on the riverside. I walked up to the river and cupped my hands to the water. I splashed my face a few times, processing what just happened.

"Ren? Are you alright?"

"Sigurd is a pig"

He laughed, "You didn't know that already?"

"He asked me to be his wife! Could you imagine?"

"What did you say?"

"Really Ivar. What do you think I said? I told him that he was insane! I would never marry him. And I spat in his face."

Ivar laughed again, "what did he do then?" He asked looking rather amused."

"He hit me." I said very calmly. Ivar's eyes widened. He started to crawl away.

"Ivar where are you going?"

"To kill Sigurd!" He screamed.

"Wait Ivar! Come back." He ignored my command so I walked up to him and flipped him over onto his back.

"What are you doing woman! Get off!"

"No. I want you to lay with me. You can kill Sigurd later, right now, you are mine."

Ivar looked shocked but he obliged. He was lying on his back while I rested my head on his shoulder. We were staring at the stars. It was a beautiful night.

"Ren?"

"Yes Ivar."

"Why do you stay with me? Why not run off and marry Sigurd? He could give you a much better life."

"Because Ivar. He's not you."

"Yes but Ren--"

"Shut your mouth, Ivar. Enjoy the stars."

"I love you, Ren."

"I love you, Ivar."