Not Your Property

Ivar's POV

My eyes fluttered open. Ren was still asleep, her head rested on my chest. She began to stir in her sleep, I petted her head to try and soothe her back to slumber but I'm afraid I only woke her up more.

"Ivar, why are you petting me like a dog?"

"Because..." I paused, "you are my pet."

"Your pet? Excuse me?"

"Alright pet wasn't the right word. Woman. Yes. You are my woman and I can do to you whatever I wish."

"Is that so? You can do whatever you want with me?"

"Yes." After I said these words she sat up from my bed and started to put on her dress.

"Where are you going?" I asked rather confused. Had I said something to offend her? I thought I was giving her a compliment. I called her my woman.

"I'm going back to my own home." She spat.

"Why? Did I offend you, woman?"

"I am not property, Ivar." She spoke with her teeth clenched. Then she left my room, slamming the door behind her.

So I did offend her.

Ren's POV

I couldn't believe him! I thought he was trying to be kind! He called me his woman but then he acted like he had a right to me. Like I was his property. I entered my hut and slammed the front door closed. I let out a loud, frustrated scream and then kicked over a chair. Everyone always said I was the calm one in my friendship with Ivar but sometimes I had to disagree with that opinion.

I heard a small chuckle coming from the corner of the room. I turned to see papa sitting in a stool making arrows for my bow.

"Why are you laughing?!"

"Because you are having a tantrum."

"I am not!" Yes I was.

"Why are you angered?"

"He's a stupid, childish boy! He is ignorant and--"

"What did Ivar do this time?"

"He treats me like I'm an object! I am not property, papa! I don't belong to anyone."

"Trust me little one, I know. What did Ivar say to you?"

"He said 'you are my woman and I can do whatever I want to you'"

Floki laughed again. "Oh my dear child! Ivar was only trying to tell you how much he cares for you. He's never been good at expressing himself. You know this! You are overreacting."

"Do you really think I'm overreacting?"

"I do, child."

I had to think about this now. Was I really overreacting? I don't think he meant to hurt me. I had to find him.

I walked out of my hut and back to the village where I could find Ivar. I strolled through the village scanning through all of the people. I heard yelling in the distance. Ivar. I followed the loud voices and surely enough there was Ivar bickering with Sigurd.

"You two are like little boys." I said as I scolded them.

"Ren." Ivar's face lit up. Gods I love his smile.

"Hello Ren." Sigurd spoke. I hate you.

"Why are you bickering?"

"Ivar took one of my knives."

"I wanted it." Ivar said with a smug look.

"Ivar, give me the knife." I spoke softly. He looked at me and handed me a small blade.

"Thank you." I gave him a kiss on the cheek as I put my hands behind my back.

"Here Sigurd." I handed him a blade, "now off with you. I need to talk to your brother, alone."

Ivar did not look pleased. "You gave him the knife. Why would you do that, woman."

"No Ivar. I gave him a knife. Not the knife you took. Here you go." I handed him the knife he took from Sigurd. When I put my hands behind my back I switched Sigurd's blade with a dull blade I had borrowed from papa. Ivar smiled, but then his face became serious.

"I'm sorry... for what I said. I didn't mean to offend--" I interrupted him in mid sentence with a kiss.

"I'm not angry, I was overreacting."

Ivar smiled again, but this time it was a different kind of smile.

"Oh no. What are you thinking?"

"I was think how much I want you right now. I would like to fuck you by the riverside, now."

"What?"

"I want to have sex with--"

"Yes Ivar I understand that. You are being very blunt. But right now? I have chores to do."

"Alright then meet me in my hut after you finish your chores. I'll be waiting for you." He said with a wink.

This is going to be an eventful evening.