Home

The train ride home was as long as the first one, taking a day or so. They did have to stop to refuel at one point. Levy walked around the train, killing time with her wandering. She paused outside Gajeel's room, wanting to talk to him. Instead, she overheard Makarov talking to Gajeel. "You're going to have to keep it up in the District. This doesn't end with the train ride." He said sharply.

"I know old man. She knows I'm fakin' it too, you might as well tell her what's up." Gajeel growled out. Levy walked into the room, planning on pretending she heard none of that, but she couldn't.

"What's going on?" She asked, crossing her arms with a small glare.

"The Capitol is pissed about the berry stunt. We have to convince them we're in love. We just keep faking it like we have been." Gajeel said it like it was nothing. He was faking it, she knew this, but... he didn't know she wasn't anymore.

"We keep faking it?" She felt the sharp, warm sting of tears, which she forced away. "Hate to break it to you, but you're the only one faking it." Gajeel looked surprised and she couldn't believe how incredibly dense he was. She turned and marched down the hall, just as the train started to move again. She didn't stop at her room, or any other room. She kept going until she reached the back of the long train, where the was a door that lead to the outside. It was a small area where she could stand, a railing keeping her safe, as she watched the different districts they passed go by. She closed her eyes to the wind, holding back the stupid tears and stupid emotions she felt.

She heard the door open after a while and felt the presence of another person, but she refused to be the first one to speak. She stared at the passing scenery, not even giving the other person the satisfaction of her looking their direction. "I thought it was all an act, for you." Gajeel's voice finally said. He leaned against the railing, watching also. His black hair was more tame than it had been in the Arena, but it maintained the same wildness.

"It was, at first. I said it because Makarov told me too. But as time went on, as we talked and intereactsd before the Games, as I remembered more about the times I saw you at home.... the more I talked to Wendy," her face fell a little at the mention of her fallen ally. "The more I realized I did have a little crush on you. And then it grew. And... I don't know if it's love, but it's real, whatever it is. Everything that happened in the cave, that wasn't an act for me." She finally looked at him, her blue hair loose and flying in the wind. "What about you?"

He groaned a little. "Well, shrimp. I don't know. I've never let myself love anyone. Too scared, I guess. I dunno. I care about ya. Most of it was an act but me takin' care of you? Getting you home? That was real. I don't know where I stand." He ran a hand through his hair with a sigh.

They both fell silent after having talked it out, watching the fields and trees whisk past them at incredible speeds.

----

The train arrived at District 12 around mid afternoon. Makarov and Evergreen exited first. Evergreen would stick around with a camera crew to showcase the Victor Village a little, then take the same train back to the Capitol. Levy looked at Gajeel, holding out her hand to him. "Are you willing to pretend, just a little longer?" She asked quietly.

He glanced down at her offered hand, taking the much smaller hand in his own large ones. "Sure, Levy."

Together, they exited the train onto the platform, where a cheering crowd greeted them happily. She plastered on a smile that was only half-fake, because she was happy to be home, but they were cheering because she killed people. They killed people. It affected Gajeel as much as it did her. They played pretend happy, pretend couple for the cameras and the crowds, but as soon as Levy could, she went home. She knew she wouldn't spend much more time here, as she would be moved to the Victor Village soon. Her brothers tried to ask her questions but she only shook them off until she started to sob from relief and the memories she had built up inside her. They held her close and comforted her, and Lucy came by when she had the chance as well.

Gajeel didn't have a family to come home to, but he did have a black cat that would visit him sometimes. That cat was waiting for him. He had never named the cat, thinking if he named it, it became his, and he didn't want the cat to be attached to him. He decided that he would name the cat, and named him Pantherlily, Lily for short, in honor of the man who spared his and Levy's lives in the Arena. The cat curled up in Gajeel's lap as he sat in his quiet house. He didn't cry. Instead, he sat with his thoughts of everything that had happened, letting it sink in, and enjoying the quiet familiarity of his house before he had to leave it.

Both parties were glad that the Games were over, and glad the worst was behind them.