Chapter 2

"You okay?" I frowned. Lucinda was in pain again, at least this time it was the morning so I could see what I was doing. "It's fine." She snapped. "No, it's not. Lucinda, why are you hiding the fact that you're hurt?" I sighed. Lucinda fell silent. "Because... I'm afraid if I tell you how I really feel... it's just gonna be another Ivan situation..." She admitted, voice going quiet. I felt horrible. I shouldn't have asked. I should've realized. "Lucinda, I'm sorry I asked. I should've realized." I apologized. She blinked back tears. "I shouldn't have said that... you're not like Ivan." She choked on her words. "No, it's not your fault. I can't imagine what you went through. I understand if you don't trust me, I really do." I apologized. "It's okay." Lucinda sighed. I stepped out of the room, heading downstairs. "Laurance! You spent the night?" Aph asked. I nodded. "She okay?" Aaron frowned. "Yeah." I nodded. "Good. She's gonna need people like you to help her get better." He replied. People that remind her of Ivan. I thought to myself. "What?" Aphmau asked. "I said that out loud didn't I?" I sighed, thunking my head on the table. "Hey, it's okay. I suggest, next time you talk to her, you have something to talk about." She shrugged. "Like?" I replied. "I don't know, what's something you two share as a memory, or something the two of you share in common." Aphmau offered. I felt my face flush red with the one memory. "You gonna tell us why you're blushing?" Aaron asked, petting Celeste. "Well, back in the fall, I remember at about 6, Lucinda just poofed into my bathroom while I was showering. I was so embarrassed." I quietly laughed to myself. "Ohhh! I remember that! She came into our house, questioned if I had used a werewolf potion, and asked for milk. I just threw another potion in response." Aphmau giggled. "Why'd you use a werewolf potion?" Aaron frowned. She went silent. "Uhhhhhh..." Aphmau blinked. "Thanks guys. I think I have an idea." I smiled, going back upstairs. Lucinda was on her phone. "You open for visitors?" I asked. "Yeah. Lonely again." Lucinda grinned. "Glad to see you're happy again." I added. "Thanks." Turning off her phone, Lucinda turned to me. "You need something?" She asked. "Nope. Just wanted to give you some company if that's alright." I answered. "Sure." Lucinda shrugged, trying to sit up. "Don't, you're gonna hurt yourself." I hissed, helping her. "Thanks." She sighed. "It's okay." I replied. "TV?" She asked. I nodded, turning it on. Both of us sat quietly, not speaking. Lucinda winced in pain. I felt guilty, just being able to sit without anything wrong with me. "Is there anything I can help with?" I offered. "No, Laurance, there's nothing you can do. I don't mean that to be rude, but you can't control how much pain I'm in." Lucinda growled. "I understand... come here." I helped Lucinda sit closer. She let out a relieved sigh, leaning against me. I felt myself blush, not able to hold back a smile. "You're gonna be okay." I promised, resting my chin on her shoulder. Lucinda began to cry softly. "I shouldn't be stuck here. You shouldn't have to be sitting with me, stuck here, inside. Laurance, please, go spend time somewhere else." She spat. "Lucinda, stop, it's not your fault. Don't you dare start blaming yourself. I'm making my own choice to sit with you. I'm not leaving." I retorted. Lucinda whimpered sadly. "It hurts." She admitted. "I know." I sighed. Poor Lucinda. She had been through so much. Ivan, what he did, being in pain. Lucinda squirmed anxiously, not sure if she should trust me. I didn't blame her. "Lucinda... I know that I can never fix what Ivan did to you, but..." I felt a lump of sadness in my throat, cutting off my words. "But what?" She whispered sadly. "But... would you... be... my girlfriend?" I managed to ask, finally. She stiffened up a little bit, slowly relaxing. "Yes." Lucinda turned to me, crying against my shirt in a hug. I tried not to cry, slowly rubbing her back. "Please... don't leave." Lucinda coughed. "I won't. I'll stay as long as you want me to." I promised, full of grief. Whatever happened, whatever life was gonna throw at us, I wouldn't leave.