Chapter 9

Laurance's POV

"Have you two thought of any names yet?" Katelyn asked curiously. "Uhh... no, actually, I haven't." I realized. "I remember when I was in high school, someone had asked me if I wanted a son or daughter, and what their name would be. Since then I've always thought that Fern would be a good name... but I never thought that I'd actually get the chance to even have a kid." Lucinda admitted, looking down sadly. "Why's that?" I frowned. "Because... after Ivan... after we broke up, I vowed to myself I'd never fall for someone again... clearly I didn't keep the vow!" Lucinda laughed, nudging me playfully. I blushed, smiling. "Well, it's been a journey, but I can't imagine what it'd be like if we weren't together... probably still'd be with Garroth and Zane!" I grinned, giving her a quick hug. "Aw you two." Katelyn teased. "Not like we couldn't do this..." Travis mumbled. Katelyn turned to him, her face bright pink. "SERIOUSLY?!" She shouted, punching him so he fell over. "Katelyn!" Lucinda scolded, laughing at the same time. "Nice." Aaron peered over at Travis. "Very subtle." He shook his head, continuing to read the magazine he was busy with. "You're just embarrassed." Travis stood up. "And you are?" Katelyn retorted. "Uh..." Travis blushed out of embarrassment. "That's what I thought. Besides, I don't want kids." Katelyn lifted her shoulders defensively. "Why not?" I asked. "Because... I'm afraid I'll hurt them. I mean, come on, I punched Travis off of the building last time we were here!" Katelyn explained. I nodded. "Fair reason." I agreed. "Well, Katelyn, from what I can see, you might end up with a family." Aph smiled. She shook her head. "I'm not willing to put someone's life in danger." She whimpered. "I couldn't do it." Katelyn was clearly becoming stressed. "Okay. Just leave it. She's done talking about it." Travis snapped. They fell silent. "Alright. Sorry Katelyn." Aph sighed. "It's okay. I... I just want to be a good friend." She replied. "Katelyn, you are more than a good friend. You are one of the best friends anyone could ever ask for." I retorted. She smiled. "Thank you."

Lucinda's POV - One Month Later

"Laurance... please... you can't go!" I whimpered. He sighed, lowering his head. "Lucinda I've got to go. You know that. But... if you don't hear from me within a year, promise me..." Laurance fell silent. "You'll raise Fern safely. Give her a good life. I don't care if you decide to never mention me again to her, just... make sure she knows she has a father who will forever love her." He pulled me into a hug. I blinked back tears. "I promise. She will honor you forever. I will not once let your memory be lost." I promised. I couldn't keep myself from crying when he kissed me. I knew it was probably the last. But I couldn't let myself believe that. "We're ready to head out." Garroth spoke softly. Dante, Gene and Travis said their goodbyes before meeting Garroth. "Goodbye Lucy." Laurance gave me a gentle nod before heading out. "Goodbye Laurance..."

Ten Years Later (Just FYI Katelyn had a daughter whom she named Willow)

"Lucinda!!!" Katelyn shouted. Fern and I walked outside. I saw what she and the others were so excited about. After 10 years, the guys were home. I ran over to the car that they were arriving in. Heart pounding, I waited. Cadenza gave me a comforting hug. One by one, they stepped out until the car pulled away. I watched as they reunited with each other. My heart sank. "Where's Laurance?" I frowned. They fell silent, giving me a sympathetic glance. "Lucinda... he... he ran into what would've been a danger to you and Fern. Laurance fought with everything he had. To protect you. He gave his life for his family. Laurance asked me to tell you this: 'Tell Lucinda and Fern that I will always love them. No matter what happens to them, I would never stop loving them. Lucinda, please let her know that she was the only one I ever truly loved. She completed me. I would do anything for her. Lucy is the most amazing, beautiful girl I have ever met. Take care of them Garroth.' I swore with my heart that I would take care of you both, no matter the cost. He loved you so much Lucinda." Garroth sighed. I lowered my head, crying. Cadenza let me cry against her. "He's gone..." I whimpered. "Shh. I know it's hard. I know." Cadenza could barely speak. "Dad was brave Mama." Fern smiled faintly. My heart ached with grief. The poor girl would never meet her father. "He was indeed brave. Your father was the kindest, sweetest, most selfless person I ever had the gift of meeting. He will always love you Fern." I replied softly, smiling with the memories. "I would have loved to meet him." Willow added. Aphmau and Aaron's son and daughter, Cody and Lily, nodded. "He sounds very kind. I bet he's watching over us now." Cody tilted his head to the sky, ears cocked. "I'll never be as good of a sibling as Laurance must have been, but I'll try." Cadenza and Garroth's older son Andy promised. I could barely breathe. It meant so much that these young ones were so full of promises. "Thank you." I blinked away tears. "Laurance would be proud of you all."