🌻 Song Joong Ki

2008–2011: Career beginnings and breakthrough

Song made his acting debut in the 2008 period film A Frozen Flower. The following year, he appeared in the couple-swapping segment "Believe in the Moment" of omnibus Five Senses of Eros and continued to take on small but notable roles in Triple and Will It Snow for Christmas?. Song also became a regular host of KBSFriday music program Music Bank from 2009 to 2010. He then appeared in the 2010 medical drama OB/GYN Doctors, and animal movie sequel Hearty Paws 2.

Song's breakout role came in the fusion historical dramaSungkyunkwan Scandal where he played the role of an 18th-century Joseon-era rich, indolent playboy.Song also joined the cast of variety program Running Manfrom 2010 to 2011.

In May 2011

Song later released the bookBeautiful Skin Project, a bestselling health and beauty guide for men (which was re-released in Japan in 2013). In late 2010, he went on a bicycling tour around Sydney, which aired two episodes on TV via ELLE, an offshoot of the eponymous fashion magazine. Moreover, a TV special of the actor's trip to Japan entitledI'm Real: Song Joong-ki aired two parts in early 2011.Song later became an MC forjTBC audition program Made in U.

In 2011, Song starred as a jobless deadbeat in the romantic comedy Penny Pinchers. His acting performance was praised by critics, declaring him a "charismatic, swoon-worthy leading man with a viable presence."

Song took on the role of the young king Sejong in Deep Rooted Tree (2011). Critics praised Song's performance, calling it a portrayal of a genius who "realizes the futility of power early in life" and hides in his books to cope with growing up under the rule of his tyrannical fatherTaejong. Song received the PD Award at the 2011 SBS Drama Awards for the role.

He later narrated the six-part documentary Tears of the Antarctic for MBC programTears of the Earth (2012), which focuses on pressing environmental issues on the planet and donated his entire salary to charity. He reprised his role as narrator when the series was re-edited and released in theaters asPengi and Sommi (2012). He later went on a fan-meeting tour called Song Joong-ki Asia Fan Meeting Tour – THRILL & LOVE, holdingfan meetings in Thailand, Singapore, Taiwan and South Korea.

2012–2015: Leading roles and military enlistment

At the The Innocent Man press conference, September 2012

Song described 2012 as a "phenomenal year" for his career. He played the titular character in fantasy romance film A Werewolf Boy, which premiered at the 2012 Toronto International Film Festival.In preparation for his role, Song watched nature documentaries and observed stray dogs on the streets to learn how to mime and imitate the body movements of an animal. He also repeatedly watched Tim Burton's 1990 romantic fantasy Edward Scissorhands,Matt Reeves' 2010 vampire flick Let Me In, and Gollum inThe Lord of the Rings. The film was screened at the Busan International Film Festival and became the most successful Korean melodrama of all time, withmore than 7 million tickets sold.

In December 2012

The same year, he took on his first leading drama role in television, The Innocent Man. His assured and nuanced portrayal of anantihero received praise from critics and audience. The drama attracted high ratings, which along with the impressive box office run of A Werewolf Boy, cemented Song's image in the press as the "savior" of the melodrama genre both on the big and small screen.

In February 2013, after his contract with entertainment agency Sidus HQ expired, Song announced that he will be joining Blossom Entertainment.

Prior to his enlistment for his two-year mandatory military service, Song held a fan meet on August 17, 2013. He then enlisted on August 27 at the 102nd draft camp inChuncheon. Song was discharged on May 26, 2015.

2016–present: Overseas popularity

Song made his small screen comeback in Descendants of the Sun alongside actressSong Hye-kyo, playing the leader of a special UN peacekeeping unit. The drama was incredibly popular in Korea with a peak viewership rating of 41.6% and in Asia, where it was viewed 2.5 billion times on iQiyi.

The success of Descendantsin Asia made him the Korean Tourism Honorary Ambassador by the Korea Tourism Organization to actively promote Korean tourism worldwide. He was also listed as one of the Top 100 Future Generation of Leaders, at #34. He became the face of over 30 brands in 2016 alone and was one of the recipients of Korea's "Brand of the Year" award. He then embarked on a series of sold-out Asian tour spanning 10 different cities, where he met more than 60,000 fans.

Song will be appearing next in the 2017 South Korean movieBattleship Island alongside actors So Ji-sub and Hwang Jung-min. He will portray a member of the Korean Independence group, who sneaks onto Battleship Island to rescue a fellow member